Finish for children's toy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeder1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been making a small tug boat out of a piece of sycamore for my nephew. I am looking for a finish which is child safe and won't change the colour of the sycamore too much.

I have done quite a lot of research on the web and the general consensus is that most finishes will be child safe as long as they are fully cured, but this can obviously take a while.

I was just wondering what recommendations you guys have?

At the moment I think I am leaning towards a 100% tung oil with beeswax on top? Any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

John

From the Chestnut products website:

Q. Are the Chestnut Products' Spirit Stains safe for use on toys?

A. We have not had the Spirit Stains toy-tested as we have been advised that provided they are completely enclosed within a toy-tested finish it is not necessary for them to comply with these regulations. The following products from our range have been independently tested and passed the relevant part of the EN-71 Regulations:

Acrylic Lacquer
Acrylic Sanding Sealer (both types)
Cellulose Sanding Sealer (both types)
Hard Wax Oil
Melamine Lacquer
Melamine Gloss Lacquer
Finishing Oil
WoodWax 22 Clear
Shellac Sanding Sealer
Finishing Oil
Acrylic Gloss Lacquer
Acrylic Satin Lacquer

Personally, I would use the hard wax oil. Part of that consideration is because i have half a bottle left, but i do like it and it doesnt colour the timber too much. Shellac would do nicely too although probably not as resiliant to sticky fingers.

Thanks macros, I've order some hard wax oil as I think that's exactly what I was looking for

Thanks for the advice

Cheers
John

Thank goodness things have come a long way since a suitable finish for such a toy would have been a nice thick coat of lead paint. :shock:

Latest posts

Back