Finish for an old African chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmgmgm

Established Member
Reaction score
Hopefully an easy question to answer! Will wax finish on a chair (buffed) come off on clothes?

Details:
  • I have an old African chair (no idea what sort of wood). I think it's unfinished, and it looks a little drab.
  • I'd like to give it a little more sheen- not too much. Options available are BLO, Danish, wax, or Osmo.
  • I don't feel BLO or Danish would be right for an old chair.
  • I'm a little concerned the wax might come off on clothes, apart from this, it's my favourite option.

If the wax comes off on your clothes, you've used too much wax. The idea is to put on just a little, spread it around, then buff it so it is even and makes a very thin layer. You can do this with a soft cloth, such as an old T-shirt, or a brush - just the same as polishing leather shoes.

The lightest possible coat of a Microcrystalline Wax, well buffed out, might be your best and easiest solution. It has a much higher melting point that normal beeswax, important if any of the chair's residents suffer from hot bottom syndrome!

Back