Finger joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peppino97

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

When using these finger joint router bits, do I need to add any extra widths or do I just apply the bit to the exact timber pieces?

I reckon I should just use the exact dimensions..

22617-md.jpg

I am looking to join such pieces together (15cm in width) to form the sides for a beehive.

Hi Peppino,

I've not used one of those cutters myself, but I would question whether that is a very good joint to use for external woodwork. A lot of commercial stuff seems to use those joints but from what I have seen, the last finger of the joint, because it is so thin and subject to the effects of the weather, often tends to curl, causing the joint to fail over time. I would have thought that routing a single groove in the centre of each piece and inserting a loose tongue would be a better option.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I would have thought that routing a single groove in the centre of each piece and inserting a loose tongue would be a better option.
And a damn sight more fool proof! Trying to work to exact dimensions can be very tricky.

Back