finally my 1st bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp diver

Established Member
Reaction score
well my next door neighbor saw i had a lathe so asked if i wanted a few bits of wood she had sat in her shed for ages, never one to turn down free stuff i took a look to find there was a few bits of mahogany (looks like they were cut from old bits of furniture) and some real nice pieces of oak including a small bit of bog oak.

well yesterday i decided to try out one of the mahogany bits to see what developed. the only problem i had was i tried to go to thin on the base which meant i ended up going through a little, so trying to figure out a way to either fill it or maby even add a bit to the bottom as some sort of stand to fil it in with. took me a few hrs to do and still need to do some more work to the finish.

so here is my 1st attempt at a bowl with lid
20130810_183150.jpg

20130810_183219.jpg

20130810_183201.jpg

I had a hole like that !!!
Turned a button with a small tenon to fit the hole and then a little filler underneath.
No perfect, but what is?

DSCF2390 resize.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF2390 resize.jpg
    DSCF2390 resize.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 998
Well done on a first it will probably not be the last hiccup on the learning curve of turning.

Have you got a picture of the bottom, How did you hold it on the lathe. These may give a clue how to repair it.

Make a flat button in a contrasting wood with a short tenon to go through the hole and make a shallow foot in the same wood as the button with a mortice. Glue the button through the hole into the foot and hey presto you have a lidded pedestal bowl. Keep the foot about a third the diameter of the bowl and shallow mind. What you have done is too good to waste.

Pete

Very nice. I actually think the pedestal and button idea may even enhance it. Certainly a very good first try

Bodrighy":2g1tmbyz said:
Make a flat button in a contrasting wood with a short tenon to go through the hole and make a shallow foot in the same wood as the button with a mortice. Glue the button through the hole into the foot and hey presto you have a lidded pedestal bowl. Keep the foot about a third the diameter of the bowl and shallow mind. What you have done is too good to waste.

Pete

i do like this idea and may even look at using either white oak or black irish bog oak to do a pedestal with, working out a shape to enhance the original piece is the next bit, thank you pete

Congratulations, it is certainly 100% better than my first effort!

After 22 years I still now and then, make a mistake and have a little hole, so you are not alone!

Regards, Peter.

I agree With Pete but Its far better Than Any of my early Turnings I like the shape of the lid it sort of grows on you well done .
Regards
Bill

Back