Finally made a ZCI

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FogggyTown

Established Member
Reaction score
Just spent a happy hour making a zero clearance insert for my TS. Made me wonder: why don't TS mfgrs include these with their units or at least offer them as an optional extra? (Such a handy little thing, as long as you remember to replace it with the original insert BEFORE tilting the blade for a mitre cut! :shock:)

Nice use for a piece of scrap oak. :D

HI Foggy
Yes, ZCIs are great. But I do hope your TS top is aluminium and not cast iron. If you leave your oak ZCI in a CI table it will make your table go rusty, see here.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

CHeers
Steve

Steve Maskery":1yh9d650 said:
HI Foggy
Yes, ZCIs are great. But I do hope your TS top is aluminium and not cast iron. If you leave your oak ZCI in a CI table it will make your table go rusty, see here.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

CHeers
Steve

Ah! How about I give it several coats of poly to seal it? Or make another one with another type of wood? Maybe I'll just keep the original equipment in there and only pop in the ZCI when it's called for.

Sorry about the late reply, but my solution with planes made of Oak is to soak the timber in boiled Linseed Oil. No rust on the irons so it seems to work.

Roy.

Back