Quantcast

Finally a job in Oak!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well today I started work on a small occasional table in Oak! yes Oak! at long last some real wood. :lol: Look here it is after all the waste was removed.

I then marked out all the pieces ready for making the legs and apron.

Then it was on to the tenons for the apron.

That was as far as I managed to get by the end of the day as I had been working on other jobs too. :D

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont think I've seen you do a project in hardwood before (?), I'm sure you'll whip through it with your usual super speed though. Hopefully be a nice change from all the wardrobes you've been doing :)

superunknown

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking good, most of my work seems to have been Oak this year, very popular with just a natural colour finish. Is it European Oak you have there? What finish will you use?

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
yes it is European Oak I am using. i intend to give it a sealer coat and a clear lacquer coat no staining.
After a late start this morning (I had to visit a customer but it got me more work) :D I got stuck in with the table again.
I cut all of the rails that will hold a shelf and mortised the legs and then had a dry fit.

I got all of the panels glued up for the table top and the shelf after cutting a chamfer on them.

While this was in glue up I slotted the apron for the buttons and rounded over the edges of all the parts.

Then everything was given a good sanding and I cut a small wasted detail at the top of the legs.
By the end of the day I had got the top and shelf ready for a good sanding and fitting.

if all goes well tomorrow I shall get the first sealer coat on it. :D

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
doctor Bob":1ik51hcg said:
I still think you should try and stop all the dry fits, have faith...
What with my eyesight Bob! :lol: Got to admit i could have just gone straight to glue up on this type of job but I just wanted to see it together. :D

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
mailee":4kjd905m said:
Got to admit i could have just gone straight to glue up on this type of job but I just wanted to see it together. :D
LOL, I just want to get home quicker these days. Gone are the days of standing back and admiring my work.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I got the table finished today. First thing this morning I sprayed a sealer coat on it and this afternoon I got the top coat on. Finished off the day by giving it a polish. Didn't come out too bad really. :D

Right now onto my next job in.......Pine. :roll:

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice to see you working in some proper wood Allan, very nice table by the way!

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes it made a very enjoyable change Rog. I was in our neck of the woods on Monday picking up that spindle moulder from Swaffam. Was a bit late when I got finished though so didn't have the time to pay a visit. :cry:

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
mailee":n9a3vwk6 said:
Yes it made a very enjoyable change Rog. I was in our neck of the woods on Monday picking up that spindle moulder from Swaffam. Was a bit late when I got finished though so didn't have the time to pay a visit. :cry:
Swaffham is about 40 miles from my workshop - you know you are always welcome if you are my way - with my workload at the moment though you would probably been given a chisel with your coffee though and told what to get on with! (hammer)

Just finished a clock today and have ten oak dining chairs to finish and deliver at the end of next week that are only half made! :shock:

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
I like how all the concern about Ikea and the like putting independent cabinetmakers out of business is so robustly kicked in the nuts by you guys!

Aidan

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
TheTiddles":15hfa92h said:
I like how all the concern about Ikea and the like putting independent cabinetmakers out of business is so robustly kicked in the nuts by you guys!

Aidan
=D> =D> =D> Love it!

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: No problem Rog, I am used to having a cup of coffee in one hand and a tool in the other. :D Actually the cabinet maker I got the spindle moulder from was very busy too. (He builds bespoke kitchens)