Finally a job in Oak!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well today I started work on a small occasional table in Oak! yes Oak! at long last some real wood. :lol: Look here it is after all the waste was removed.
DSCN2903.jpg

I then marked out all the pieces ready for making the legs and apron.
DSCN2901.jpg

Then it was on to the tenons for the apron.
DSCN2908.jpg

That was as far as I managed to get by the end of the day as I had been working on other jobs too. :D

I dont think I've seen you do a project in hardwood before (?), I'm sure you'll whip through it with your usual super speed though. Hopefully be a nice change from all the wardrobes you've been doing :)

Looking good, most of my work seems to have been Oak this year, very popular with just a natural colour finish. Is it European Oak you have there? What finish will you use?

yes it is European Oak I am using. i intend to give it a sealer coat and a clear lacquer coat no staining.
After a late start this morning (I had to visit a customer but it got me more work) :D I got stuck in with the table again.
I cut all of the rails that will hold a shelf and mortised the legs and then had a dry fit.
DSCN2917.jpg

I got all of the panels glued up for the table top and the shelf after cutting a chamfer on them.
DSCN2921.jpg

While this was in glue up I slotted the apron for the buttons and rounded over the edges of all the parts.
DSCN2923.jpg

Then everything was given a good sanding and I cut a small wasted detail at the top of the legs.
By the end of the day I had got the top and shelf ready for a good sanding and fitting.
DSCN2924.jpg

if all goes well tomorrow I shall get the first sealer coat on it. :D

I still think you should try and stop all the dry fits, have faith...

doctor Bob":1ik51hcg said:
I still think you should try and stop all the dry fits, have faith...
What with my eyesight Bob! :lol: Got to admit i could have just gone straight to glue up on this type of job but I just wanted to see it together. :D

mailee":4kjd905m said:
Got to admit i could have just gone straight to glue up on this type of job but I just wanted to see it together. :D

LOL, I just want to get home quicker these days. Gone are the days of standing back and admiring my work.

I got the table finished today. First thing this morning I sprayed a sealer coat on it and this afternoon I got the top coat on. Finished off the day by giving it a polish. Didn't come out too bad really. :D
DSCN2927.jpg

DSCN2929.jpg

Right now onto my next job in.......Pine. :roll:

Nice to see you working in some proper wood Allan, very nice table by the way!

Yes it made a very enjoyable change Rog. I was in our neck of the woods on Monday picking up that spindle moulder from Swaffam. Was a bit late when I got finished though so didn't have the time to pay a visit. :cry:

mailee":n9a3vwk6 said:
Yes it made a very enjoyable change Rog. I was in our neck of the woods on Monday picking up that spindle moulder from Swaffam. Was a bit late when I got finished though so didn't have the time to pay a visit. :cry:

Swaffham is about 40 miles from my workshop - you know you are always welcome if you are my way - with my workload at the moment though you would probably been given a chisel with your coffee though and told what to get on with! (hammer)

Just finished a clock today and have ten oak dining chairs to finish and deliver at the end of next week that are only half made! :shock:

I like how all the concern about Ikea and the like putting independent cabinetmakers out of business is so robustly kicked in the nuts by you guys!

Aidan

TheTiddles":15hfa92h said:
I like how all the concern about Ikea and the like putting independent cabinetmakers out of business is so robustly kicked in the nuts by you guys!

Aidan

=D> =D> =D> Love it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: No problem Rog, I am used to having a cup of coffee in one hand and a tool in the other. :D Actually the cabinet maker I got the spindle moulder from was very busy too. (He builds bespoke kitchens)

Back