few pictures of our latest saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

thought some might be intersted in our latest saw.

It's the high end version.

dt+ebony.JPG

Ebnony handle high polished
dt+ebony+handel.JPG

Polished stainless steel screws
dt+ebony+handle+side.JPG

Filed to 20tpi rip
dt+ebony+pins.JPG

The oval spline take Klaus a few hours:
dt+ebony+spline.JPG

Cheers
Pedder

Very nice Pedder - that Ebony looks beautiful.

Cheers

Karl (waiting in anticipation...............)

hi pedder

now that's not fair keep showing that saw , it was amonst your last pics which i liked very much now i'm drippling again 8) cool pedder very very nice GLASS QUALITY WORK . hc :lol: :lol:

You have surpassed yourself on this one. Outstanding.

Hi

Thank you for the kudos, very appreciated.

Rod, we don't own a milling machine. The oval is filed from square stock by (Klaus') hands. Time consuming! :wink:

Karl, your blades and splines were sent to Klaus today.

Ed the price is 50% more than the "standard saw". It takes about that amount of time more to make...

Cheers Pedder

Very nice, thanks for showing us. Drooling again and I don't even like dark handles ;)

Is the slight front overhang of the brass backs just a signature of your (plural) work or does it serve purpose in your saws?

Pedder - yet again droolsome photo's of exquisitely crafted toolery. The sort of thing that gives inspiration to many, surely not just those who aspire to creating their own tools, but also to those who enjoy using such items.

May I ask a question though? - Without a milling machine, how do you cut the slot in the brass spline to fit the blade? I ask mainly because I would like to make my own saws, and certainly have neither the space/funds/experience to run a milling machine....

Cheers,
Adam

Kalimna":hp5q1jy2 said:
Pedder - yet again droolsome photo's of exquisitely crafted toolery. The sort of thing that gives inspiration to many, surely not just those who aspire to creating their own tools, but also to those who enjoy using such items.

May I ask a question though? - Without a milling machine, how do you cut the slot in the brass spline to fit the blade? I ask mainly because I would like to make my own saws, and certainly have neither the space/funds/experience to run a milling machine....

Cheers,
Adam

Hi Adam, thats a fair question. Klaus made the first spines with a handrill. But now we buy ready milled raw splines.

Cheers Pedder

Lordy lordy lordy...that is BEEEEUTIFUL!

I love ebony but in contrast with that stainless steel...well it is sublime!

Bravo guys...a masterpiece!!!

I need some more...much much more practice! :oops:

Jim

chingerspy":16swfv6g said:
Very nice, thanks for showing us. Drooling again and I don't even like dark handles ;)

Is the slight front overhang of the brass backs just a signature of your (plural) work or does it serve purpose in your saws?

The front overhang of the spine is just a point of visual balance. The saw has a light weighted spine with the depth of 16 mm. The oval shape reduces the weight another 20 %. So it´s possible to give this little overhang without impacting the functional balance of the saw. A saw with coarser toothing and heavy spine will not get a spine overhang because the balance will be not optimal. A heavy spine should be tapered and made without overhang to improve the functional balance of the saw.

As Pedder wrote, we get now the spine blanks ready slotted. The oval shaping is made by hand. The filing takes time. I doubt if it´s possible to mill the oval shape because the matching of the spine to the front of the cheeks has to be made individually for each saw. Regarding this the high end design with flush mounted oval spine takes a lot extra time to be made.

Klaus

Back