Festools domino jointer system, what do you think??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoops!

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Has there been any threads on the Festool Domino jointing system, or is there anybody out there who actually has one of these bits of kit?
I've just finished cutting a large batch of mortice and tenons for some tables, I vary between the bandsaw, table saw and the router for doing the tenons and have a bench mounted morticer for doing the rest.

I AM SO BORED OF CUTTING MORTICE AND TENONS !!!! :evil: :evil:

Dowels and biscuits have there own drawer backs, and am wondering what,if any,are the drawer backs to the festool. ( apart from the huge price tag of course !!)
Has anyone actually got one ??? What's everyone else's take on this system. Strikes me as a glorified dowelling system that could never be as strong as a trad mortice and tenon. Do you think it could be used effectivly in stretcher rails and cope with possible torsion ??
So many questions, :-k
So expensive

Decklan

I have a Domino and the cost of Festool tools was previously discussed. As for the tool, I find it superb. My biscuit joiner is now resigned to the bottom of the drawer, and the Domino has taken over being a lot less dusty to use. Comparing with the the BJ, IMO it is more accurate and provides a stronger joint. I also find the full tenon use very quick, easy and strong. I also use it for slots to hold table top buttons. Yes it can be done other ways, but this is quick, clean and simple. One of my better purchases, and certainly no regrets.

Hi Freetochat,
Isn't the size of the dominoes a bit limiting for larger pieces , ??

whoops!":22eo9c6n said:
Hi Freetochat,
Isn't the size of the dominoes a bit limiting for larger pieces , ??

I could see in some circumstances (doors, windows) where they would be too small, but in normal furniture making I don't see a problem. You can always double the tenons.

Back