Festool Vibrating Doodad.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the smaller CXT 12V TM30DZ multitool that has been great for everything I've pointed it at.

My first step into Makita tools was the CLX203AJX1 multipack which comprises the HP331D Combi Drill, TM30D Multi-Tool. I really like the compact nature of the CXT tools and they are my go to for most handheld power tool jobs. Since then I have bought an 18V LXT drill that I use if I need to do anything that needs a little extra umph.

The CXT range is cheaper (than LXT) and tools more compact which has been perfect for me. But then I am just a hobby DIY/Woodworker.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think the Festool is a Fein in different clothing and I like the accessories that come with the Festool. Not worried about the price.

I've never used one though and wonder if they are any good for what I might be using it for.
You will find more uses for that tool. I bought a dewalt one years ago. I would not live without one now, it's one of those tools like my track Festool saw. Didn't think I needed one. Once had one , wished I'd bought one years before.

for wood 25 or 30mm japanese pattern blades are extremely effective. any bigger (60 or 70mm)and they can wander a bit. sometimes there a bit short as they won't cut through a door or window frame.. I use a sawing action especially with the carbide blades and an angled cut through sheet materials still with a sawing action.
I often think the corded fein does jobs that would be almost impossible any other way. last week I was removing a frame with 6 fixings. I used the carbide plunge saw to saw through all( 6mm) fixings in under an hour. bear in mind I could only see the heads.
I had a corded Fein but never real got on with it and moved it on after a couple of years. I generaly don’t like the handling of these multi tools. I do have a Dwalt cordless now for the occasional flushcut of a door frame but still don’t find them much fun to use.

That's what I was worried about, I've got enough stuff that I never use, but I think for a repair job like this it might be the ticket.

I couldn't get those cheap blades though, so the TC ones are still £20 a pop.

If you have a job like the one you describe it will make life very much easier and there is not really another tool that will do the job as quickly and easily. If you do that sort of thing regularly then the tool will be invaluable. My problem with them is they tend to get used for too many things, lots of which they are not that good at. It’s the classic “if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail”.
Where you need to get a cutting blade into a small gap or between two boards they can’t be beat. Abandon all expectations of precision and control and you will love it.

Hopefully the nails are soft. If they have any hardness to them at all, the wood and metal ones will not work well. They work well on copper pipe and aluminium but on steel, they blunt quickly. It is a practical difficulty in that they would do OK if you could use the whole width of the blade and even out the wear on the teeth, but in tight spaces that is quite difficult.

My direct experience is with the Bosch carbide blade for metal cutting. Turn the speed down to the lowest setting and try to use the whole width of the blade. Effectively, use the tool as hand hacksaw that just happens to vibrate a bit. I have a FEIN 63502236210 in the box to test when the Bosch one wears out.

Even if you only buy one, and add the delivery charge, this is a very good price for the Bosch ones (from SF and TS pictures, it looks like the Bosch paintjob has changed, so they might be old stock):

https://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/bosch-2608900019-plunge-cut-blade.html
Cheers, they were out of stock on those unfortunately.

Thanks for your help everyone, I've got it all sorted.

That's what I was worried about, I've got enough stuff that I never use, but I think for a repair job like this it might be the ticket.

I couldn't get those cheap blades though, so the TC ones are still £20 a pop.
Can't think of any trade really that wouldn't have a use for one?. Plus so many blades and attachments, something for all and everyone?.
I use mine when building PC's chopped recess out on back of motherboard tray so can removed rear plate of water block on CPU without taking board out/to bits. plus carved bits out for cable routing and lid to mount 450mm long radiator and grill on top of pc

Got the tool, it's black and green as you would expect, but it vibrates a bit too much for my liking so I'm in the market for some anti-vibration gloves....Any ideas?

Got the Bosch blades too, nice and slim so it should work upside down quite nicely.

Got the tool, it's black and green as you would expect, but it vibrates a bit too much for my liking so I'm in the market for some anti-vibration gloves....Any ideas?

Got the Bosch blades too, nice and slim so it should work upside down quite nicely.
The Festool is a version of the Fein supercut so I am not sure how different that is to the Fein Multimaster I have. The Multimaster has really excellent vibration isolation in comparison to the older one it replaced, the outer shell is separated by eurethane mountings from the vibrating part.
For the cutting of the flooring nails I like the Smart brand wood and nails blades, the trick it turn the speed down so it doesn`t kill the blade and burn like mad. I only use full speed for sanding really.

.......... it vibrates a bit too much for my liking so I'm in the market for some anti-vibration gloves....Any ideas?.....

The best anti vibration gloves I have ever found are the Impacto Air Glove.

One UK source. There are many. Impacto BG408 Impact Vibration Air Gloves - SafetyGloves.co.uk

I have problems with vibration and they allow me to use a tool for an hour where without my fingers would be tingling and going numb in a few minutes. I even use them when mowing the lawn.

I have one of the first generation corded Fein sanders. I don't use it very often which keeps me from upgrading to the newest ones with better vibration characteristics.

Pete

When I bought the Fein cordless, I was shopping for the quietest and lowest vibration one available. I believe that's what I got. It's the Fein, one model below the top supercut thing which is what Festool sell with a few tweaks. The bigger machine was noisier and had more vibration. All the bosch versions were worse. The corded Fein were worse.
Mine is this one ...
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/fein-cordless-multimaster-cleaning.136036/

I was in a room next to one of my workmates who was using a Makita Vibrator yesterday, I couldn't believe the noise the thing was making. He was trying to chop a bit of 2" and took 20 mins for a 2 minute hand saw job.

I was in a room next to one of my workmates who was using a Makita Vibrator yesterday, I couldn't believe the noise the thing was making. He was trying to chop a bit of 2" and took 20 mins for a 2 minute hand saw job.
They are a probably the worlds most annoying noise but they will get you out of trouble and are great at awkward stuff, I would`t be without mine.

Ollie

new blade needed I reckon.

they are very noisy, and for 90% of the jobs they can do, you'd be better off using a different tool.

In my mind it is where they come into their own is when you need to cut something in situ, and you just couldn't get in to do the job with anything else.

Noise and vibration is worst on high, even more so with the Festool/Supercut. It does have a loudness wheel which rarely needs to be on 11.

Back