Festool Vibrating Doodad.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

A Major Clanger
Reaction score
Formerly Makita vibrating doodad.

Anybody used this and care to give an opinion......Not fussed if it's made in China, as someone else is paying for it.

Last edited:
If you were not aware, it uses Starlock blades. That may influence your thinking one way or the other especially if the person buying it is not the same person buying the blades.

They will buy the blades, but I've no idea how long they last. I'll be plunge cutting 16G secret flooring nails and a bit of pine.

Looks like I'll go with the Festool one anyway, along with the fancy over the shoulder arm candy vacuum.

fein are really top quality with multi tools. I've not done a comparison though. many multitools make a load of noise but don't acheive much.

fein are very smooth. I use a bosch tungsten carbide blade on nails and screws it's a blue colour and never seems to blunt. it actually sends out sparks though it's got wide teeth.
the starlock does improve performance I feel considerably.

better grip / more points of contact do you think? I've got a dewalt which takes the open back sort and have been pretty happy with it, I like the quick blade change

fein are really top quality with multi tools. I've not done a comparison though. many multitools make a load of noise but don't acheive much.

fein are very smooth. I use a bosch tungsten carbide blade on nails and screws it's a blue colour and never seems to blunt. it actually sends out sparks though it's got wide teeth.
Thanks, I think the Festool is a Fein in different clothing and I like the accessories that come with the Festool. Not worried about the price.

I've never used one though and wonder if they are any good for what I might be using it for.

for wood 25 or 30mm japanese pattern blades are extremely effective. any bigger (60 or 70mm)and they can wander a bit. sometimes there a bit short as they won't cut through a door or window frame.. I use a sawing action especially with the carbide blades and an angled cut through sheet materials still with a sawing action.
I often think the corded fein does jobs that would be almost impossible any other way. last week I was removing a frame with 6 fixings. I used the carbide plunge saw to saw through all( 6mm) fixings in under an hour. bear in mind I could only see the heads.

don't use a wood saw to cut steel. it knackers them(but will work). I do use Saxton and shark blades. but tbh I often just buy fein or bosch. if your making a living it's just an expense. they accurately cut roofing felt on slower speeds. ok as a delta sander to. the cordless would be useful but I worry about the grunt

Thanks, I think the Festool is a Fein in different clothing and I like the accessories that come with the Festool. Not worried about the price.

I've never used one though and wonder if they are any good for what I might be using it for.
Feins the Daddy they and Festool have a tie up and the starlock system belongs to one of them but licenced to other to manufacture just like Bosch owns SDS system and Fein/Festool the systainer system.
Ive a 250Q brilliant tool for doing so much

Remember if you are plunge cutting the blade clogs very, very quickly and needs withdrawing and clearing regularly or it will overheat. Like all power tools the thing is only as good as the abrasive/bit/blade you use with it. I have the Milwaukee Fuel which I can't fault.

Thanks, do the Fein/Festool ones vibrate much, as it's a secret nailing job with lots of nails.
I've got a corded fein. I don't think there is much of a vibration. It is a heavy beast though. I bought a cheap one years ago to do a job, then saw a fein being demonstrated. I bought the fein straight away and gave the cheap one away. They were light years apart in term I'd build quality, functionality and vibration.

I'll take a look at them ones. yes the latest fein are really low vibration almost rubber mounted in comparison with even the older fein.
they come in a great box as well.
sawing steel its even more important to manually saw it stops the teeth sticking on one point.

them cmt blades are bi metal and go blunt depressingly quickly.(hss)the tungsten carbide ones will cut through steel consistently for a long time.(but they are thicker)

Hopefully the nails are soft. If they have any hardness to them at all, the wood and metal ones will not work well. They work well on copper pipe and aluminium but on steel, they blunt quickly. It is a practical difficulty in that they would do OK if you could use the whole width of the blade and even out the wear on the teeth, but in tight spaces that is quite difficult.

My direct experience is with the Bosch carbide blade for metal cutting. Turn the speed down to the lowest setting and try to use the whole width of the blade. Effectively, use the tool as hand hacksaw that just happens to vibrate a bit. I have a FEIN 63502236210 in the box to test when the Bosch one wears out.

Even if you only buy one, and add the delivery charge, this is a very good price for the Bosch ones (from SF and TS pictures, it looks like the Bosch paintjob has changed, so they might be old stock):

https://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/bosch-2608900019-plunge-cut-blade.html

Back