Festool kapex ks88 vs Bosch gcm 12 axial glide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletty100

Reaction score
looking to upgrade my mitre saw for the workshop and have narrowed it down to these two. Looking for a saw that is going to be accurate and reliable.
Can’t seem to find the festool in stock anywhere though.
which of these saws would you guys go for and is there any good deals on these two saws anywhere.
cheers

I've got the bosch and it's superb. ditch the lasers and I got a light from eBay like the dewalt system. it's difficult to see how it could be improved tbh. the light makes it foolproof

bloody heavy though...workshop only
I've got the bosch and it's superb. ditch the lasers and I got a light from eBay like the dewalt system. it's difficult to see how it could be improved tbh. the light makes it foolproof
Do you find
do you find there is any play in the axial glide action or is it rock solid

We had a guy brought one on site last year - the weight, with the rolling base nearly creased him at the end of the day when he put it back in the van (he needed a ramp). Accuracy seemed good, but it threw dust all over the place eben with a vacuum on and I reckon that my KS120 was cleaner, had an easier to read bevel gauge and was easier to set bevel angles accurately on. Against that, greater capacity and more powerful on the Bosch

being honest I've only got my old 10 inch bosch to compare with and that is seriously old( but good). I think at the level these saws are operating subtle things can make them "better". my mate used to say they were all " second fixey" by that he meant okay but not accurate enough for a workshop. maybe these are a bit less second fixey. the bosch can go against a wall btw.
a guy came on this forum and said he had 3d printed some holders and was selling a bright light to give the bosch the dewalt shadow line. no idea if it's still for sale but it's an awesome system. the shadow of the blade is the cut line.
that in itself would trump the festool for me. ( unless they have a different system)

Two of the best chops saws you get buy, imo the Festool just beats out the Bosch. It's rock solid, reliable, repeatable, great base with extending arms, though if its for a workshop you're far better off making a dedicated table and fence system for it.

Micro compound bevel adjuster is great as is the bevel locking system (Imo better than the Bosch's)
Dust extraction is about the best you can achieve on a chop saw.
Depth stop adjuster is easy to set with micro adjustment.
All in all a solid saw, main down sides are the fences have to be removed to make compound bevel cuts (though that's pretty standard on most saws)
blade size is tiny compared to the Bosch and it sounds like a bag of spanners when it runs.

Oh and just a personal thing, I much prefer the pistol grip of the Festool over the handle grip on the Bosch

a guy came on this forum and said he had 3d printed some holders and was selling a bright light to give the bosch the dewalt shadow line. no idea if it's still for sale but it's an awesome system. the shadow of the blade is the cut line.
that in itself would trump the festool for me. ( unless they have a different system)
The Festool uses twin lasers, which work effectively, and indicate both sides of the blade (so you see the kerf). The mitre angle finder (for stuff like skirtings) is also pretty nifty. AFAIK deWalts now all use the shadow line system, which for site use is bulletproof.

the bosch uses twin lasers very high quality but they aren't rock solid. the shadow system works every time.
I've grown so used to the bosch handle I'd struggle with anything else tbh!
I've always found festool to be good but delicate. my old gcm10 double bevel is seriously tough. think it's 2005! the red plastics are faded pink now. the saw is on its third stand. and it's still accurate. I've found how sharp the blade is has a direct correlation to the accuracy of the saw.

Hello,

This may not help much but for what its worth, this is my opinion.
I wanted a saw for workshop use and needed a saw that could sit close to the wall as space is a major issue for me.
I narrowed it down to either the Kapex KS120 or the Bosch GCM12 Axial glide saw.

After going to an Axminster store to look at these, I decided to buy the Kapex. I actually preferred the Bosch as I really like the larger blade and the arm system. I thought it was more suited for workshop use over being a site saw.

The main reason I purchased the Kapex was based around these points.

1, Most of reviews I read or watched online, suggested that the Kapex was more accurate.
2, The dust extraction was reported to be the best available on any saw of this type.
3, The Motor on the Kapex is very quiet (Compared to other saws)
4,The motor has a speed control. I thought that would be nice for cutting other materials, like plastic.
5, The build quality of the Kapex is excellent. I really felt I was getting what I was paying for, it is a very well made, robust solid machine.
6, All adjustments seemed to be well thought out and easily changed. Mitre cutting angle adjustment and lock mechanism is solid and is very repeatable.
7, The bevel adjustment is also superb and very easy to adjust, with the adjustment easy to access.
8. The feeling I was buying quality (Silly I know).

I was in two minds because I really liked preferred the Bosch but thought I should buy the Kapex for the above reasons. I totally convinced myself that I was paying for a high end, quality saw that met all my requirements (Apart from cost) , so I bit the bullet and purchased it.

After initially using it I felt this was the right choice, but after a few weeks I started to doubt that that the Kapex was worth the extra money. Only because I thought that what the Kapex offered over the Bosch was not worth the extra cost. I started to wonder if the few hundred pounds more for the Kapex would have been better spent on a other tools. I started to think maybe I had wasted my money. In fact it bugged me so much I went and bought the Bosch as well to test side by side.

So, after having the Bosch and the Kapex next to each other I fully tested them.

The result of this for me was the only one thing I felt was worth the extra money was that the Kapex was the far higher quality tool with regard to to build quality and overall design. It certainly is a nicer tool, with materials used down to the nice paint job! I really felt that the Kapex was a far stronger, more solid saw compared to the Bosch. The difference in overall quality of the materials and the way it was built and put together was really noticeable when both saws were side by side. I must say that I still prefer the arm system on the Bosch compared to the slide assembly on the Kapex. With no slop or sideways movement (Unless forced) the arm system is in a class of its own, but the rest of the base etc and the adjustments just did not match up to quality of the Kapex. (I returned the Bosch for a refund), and decided I had made the right choice by far.

The Bosch performed very well, and I couldn't notice any difference with accuracy in the cuts straight out of the box. Both saws were spot on, with the 90 degree mitre cuts being very repeatable after changing the angle and then back to 90 Degrees.

So, here is my conclusion, after using the Kapex for around a year now.

If I had the choice again what would I buy. I think I would buy the Bosch!!!
The Kapex, IMHO, is a better made saw and from an engineering point of view is a solid, well designed high spec, saw and really is the Rolls Royce of mitre saws, but these are my reasons I would buy the Bosch.

1, Lower cost. I could have spent the spare money on other tools.
2, I have never used the speed control. Its always been set to full speed. Thought I would use it but never did.
3, The noise of any saw does not really make much difference when you have a good quality set of ear protectors on. Well, for me anyway. All my other tools are louder than the Kapex anyway.
4. I have only used made a few bevel cuts, so its not a big advantage of of having the bevel angle adjustment on the front. Nice but not needed.
5, The bigger blade on the Bosh is a big thing (Literally), I soon run into doing jobs where I really needed the depth of cut the Bosch offers.
6, This one really bugs me. Its a matter of personal preference I now but I just cannot get on with the vertical grip on the Kapex. Every time I use it I think this is so unnatural, it really feels awkward. I thought I would get use to it but I have not, and it bugs me. As stupid it as it is, I think this is my number one gripe.
7. Dust extraction is excellent on the Kapex. The dust extraction on the Bosch was no where near has good, but with an extra extraction pipe near the blade fixed that issue. Plus all my other tools throw up sawdust. If the the Kapex was my only tool, it would be a bigger thing to consider.
8, I really like the arm system on the Bosch (Did I mention that!). It really sells the Bosch and I think that it is the its best feature, which in turn provides accurate cuts.
9, The Bosch has a wider cutting ability. Although I thought was not going to be an issue on the Kapex, I have jobs that really could benefit, from being able to cut wider boards.
10, Its a saw, and knowing what I know now, I would say that although the Kapex overall is a better made saw (In many respects), I think that by having the extra cutting width and depth is a massive bonus on the Bosch, All the other reasons why I chose the Kapex, turned out to be not as important to me as I first thought. Yes the build quality very nice, but really is it worth the extra money over the extra cutting ability of the Bosch. Only you can decide!

At the end of the day, they are both excellent saws, both seemed to cut just as well in the tests I done. I think for me that having the extra cutting depth, horizontal handle, and the glide arm system wins over the higher build quality and robust, solid features that the Kapex is well know for.

All of this is just my own opinions and feelings after using both the Bosch and kapex, which does not really make it right or wrong or really make one better than the other. They are both great saws and it really comes down to what features are important to you. For me I think sacrificing the really nice features of the Kapex for the extra cutting depth of the Bosch, with the the arm system and horizonal handle just pushes in front for me personally if I had to make my purchase again.

Sorry for the long waffle about nothing really, and what has already really been mentioned on here and other forums.

Thanks.

no I think your post sums up ( in a long way) my feelings both on festool and the bosch. with the caveat that a bigger more powerful and heavy blade/head is much trickier ( engineering wise) to keep right. its easier to make a saw with no slide a small blade and a light single bevel cut accurately with much fewer moving parts and weight. it's not just a case of whacking a bigger blade on, everything must be upgraded..a kick on a huge saw produces extreme energy.

The Festool uses twin lasers, which work effectively, and indicate both sides of the blade (so you see the kerf). The mitre angle finder (for stuff like skirtings) is also pretty nifty. AFAIK deWalts now all use the shadow line system, which for site use is bulletproof.

Not really bulletproof, mines stopped working!! 😡

Thanks for the reviews and experiences with both these saws.
I have heard quite a few folk saying they don’t like the grip on the festool
also reading through other forums I noticed that the motors on the festool aren’t as reliable as they are made out to be.
the only thing putting me off the Bosch was how accurate it was going to be but judging by some comments here it doesn’t appear to be an issue.
once again guys thank you for the info, think I’m going to go for the Bosch. Now, just need to persuade the wife it’s a good idea.😬

define accuracy...at this level they should all cut properly. not perfectly I think as they are a bit second fixey. with a used blade every scms would cut slightly dodgy on a compound angle.

If you get bored with it, next time try a Metabo KGS254iplus.
I think it's the only SCMS with an induction motor / belt drive.
It has a big footprint and is far too heavy for site use which is why they are not at all common. Need lots of space behind that the Bosch especially does not, but it is a well made and feature rich saw with relatively good dust extraction. Noise from the motor is minimal but you soon realise how much is created by the teeth cutting air and timber.
It's cheaper than the other two and it has perhaps the best hold down clamp in the business :)
I think you made a good choice however.
If you are tight for space, the Bosch is great and feels excellent.
The complexity is a little off putting when worrying about long term accuracy, but sealed ball bearings are a very very highly refined technology and it has a good reputation, so it would have been my choice too :)

Last edited:
Back