Festool kapex ks88 vs Bosch gcm 12 axial glide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Thedog - what of lifespan/reliability? If the Kapex is so much better engineered, it may outlast the Bosch?
(Unless you are like me, a hobby woodworker who has a very light usage, in which case either would see me out)

I have used a Bosch 12 inch mitre saw for some time and cannot really fault it, it is not the later axial glide one which would have been nice to reduce the space needed behind but you cannot beat simplicity, the more moving parts can just sum to overall more play and my one on two slides has no play and cuts precise. Looked at the festool at a show and walked away, it's best feature is like all festool products dust extraction but just thought it was to plastic and the fixed handle was in the wrong plane, not natural. My bosch allows the handle to rotate and the most natural position has to be like holding the handlebars of a bike so you have easy natural movement. The one thing they did have in common was a release button to allow operation, but luckily on the Bosch I can use a small release lever instead of the button so much easier and the biggest gripe with the bosch is the blade guard that has small wheels to help it rotate which cause some safety issues in that it is not always a smooth operation.

Everyone is different, I like the vertical handle on my Kapex and the fact that it is in line with the blade. For me it is like using a hand saw and feels totally natural, I think it helps with some cuts especially compound mitres as your hand is always in the same plane as the cut.

But your hand is not the blade, and you should not be using a handsaw motion on a mitre saw. I found this where there are others who also dislike this fixed handle. Look at 6.3 .

But your hand is not the blade, and you should not be using a handsaw motion on a mitre saw. I found this where there are others who also dislike this fixed handle. Look at 6.3 .

Like I say we are all different and also I guess it's what you are used to. I often use my Kapex left handed and have none of the problems the guy in sunglasses with an iphone making videos on his lunch break has ( I have heard him described as that in the past and it made me giggle :), I do actually watch his videos and he does some good stuff so not knocking him at all, everyone has their own opinions and experiences).

It's similar for me with jigsaws, I can't stand the D handle style as I feel really disconnected from the cut but with body grip jigsaws I feel to have much more control as my grip is closer to the cut.

Yes that guy gave some good advice when I was looking for an 18g nailer. With jigsaws I also like the body grip type although I still don't get any better results so the issue is the operator.

Thanks for the reviews and experiences with both these saws.
I have heard quite a few folk saying they don’t like the grip on the festool
also reading through other forums I noticed that the motors on the festool aren’t as reliable as they are made out to be.
the only thing putting me off the Bosch was how accurate it was going to be but judging by some comments here it doesn’t appear to be an issue.
once again guys thank you for the info, think I’m going to go for the Bosch. Now, just need to persuade the wife it’s a good idea.😬
You are right to be concerned about the motors on the Kapex - Ive got a 2015 year model and my motor just went pop - needed a new armature - a quick search online and you see its not an uncommon issue!

I do however find the saw a real pleasure to use, it is accurate and repeatable, surprised to see others here say they are quiet - I find mine extremely loud!

Considering mine is just used for DIY so see's relatively light use and considering the price tag - I would expect greater reliability and was surprised and disappointed the motor went!

You are right to be concerned about the motors on the Kapex - Ive got a 2015 year model and my motor just went pop - needed a new armature - a quick search online and you see its not an uncommon issue!

I do however find the saw a real pleasure to use, it is accurate and repeatable, surprised to see others here say they are quiet - I find mine extremely loud!

Considering mine is just used for DIY so see's relatively light use and considering the price tag - I would expect greater reliability and was surprised and disappointed the motor went!

The smoking Kapex motors, haven't heard of one of those in a while! The problem only seemed to be with saws of a certain age, think mines from 2012 and it went twice. Festool denied the problem for ages then finally admitted there was an issue. Both times I was without my saw for over 2 weeks and the customer service was shocking, I promised to never buy another Festool but of course did :rolleyes:

The good news is the problem seems to be sorted, my latest armature has been in a few years now without problem so you should be fine (y)

Can I ask diid you have to pay for the repair?

I thought the video review was fair and balanced. I've had the 12" Bosch for a few years and it is a very good tool. It is no use at all as a site tool unless you are a body builder though, as it is very heavy (= well built) and the wheeled stand is awkward to move around without folding down. Dust collection is truly hopeless. Accuracy is great.

It is however by far the best siding mitre saw if you need the large capacity. If I were buying today, for use in my workshop, I would get the Kapex, mainly because the dust collection is way better, and the mitre tilt adjustment is a lot easier.

The smoking Kapex motors, haven't heard of one of those in a while! The problem only seemed to be with saws of a certain age, think mines from 2012 and it went twice. Festool denied the problem for ages then finally admitted there was an issue. Both times I was without my saw for over 2 weeks and the customer service was shocking, I promised to never buy another Festool but of course did :rolleyes:

The good news is the problem seems to be sorted, my latest armature has been in a few years now without problem so you should be fine (y)

Can I ask diid you have to pay for the repair?
I just bought the part online and replaced it myself Doug, so just cost me the price of the part which if I recall correctly was around £150. I did a few days later speak to Festool who said they would probably repair it for free but they would need to asses it first before they would fully commit to that. And of course they only blow when you are in the middle of a job so I needed it repairing ASAP.

I measured my brushes when I had it apart and they were hardly worn and only slightly under original length so it clearly hadn’t done many miles but because it was so many years out of warranty I had already ordered the part before Festool said they might repair it for free.

it is a revised part and comes with a replacement pcb as part of the kit so as you have indicated, I would expect it not to blow again so readily.

Glad I’ve gone for the Bosch now

Well had never heard of one until you mentioned it but at £420 that is more expensive than a Makita tracksaw and £260 more than a Bosch jigsaw! It does look like when cutting it does keep the blade at 90° to the job which would make a change, no mater how I try I get a beveled cut.

I just bought the part online and replaced it myself Doug, so just cost me the price of the part which if I recall correctly was around £150. I did a few days later speak to Festool who said they would probably repair it for free but they would need to asses it first before they would fully commit to that. And of course they only blow when you are in the middle of a job so I needed it repairing ASAP.

I measured my brushes when I had it apart and they were hardly worn and only slightly under original length so it clearly hadn’t done many miles but because it was so many years out of warranty I had already ordered the part before Festool said they might repair it for free.

it is a revised part and comes with a replacement pcb as part of the kit so as you have indicated, I would expect it not to blow again so readily.

Glad you got it fixed and well done for sorting it yourself, would definitely be quicker than sending it in to Festool (y)

Back