Festool CXS compared to 14.4V Dewalt NiMH

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Been a long time since posting on here - I still see some familiar faces around!

I have two 14.4V Dewalt Drills which are used for everything from finer woodwork to shed building (!) to DIY. I find they have enough power for what I need generally. I have corded SDS drills for heavier duty (DIY) stuff.

BUT the batteries are dying and new batteries are £60 +. So am looking for a new drill.

I have a small Festool addiction and am very tempted by the CXS since the price looks ok for Festool (£225).

Does anyone know how the CXS would compare to a Dewalt 14.4V NiMH drill - I know my better Dewalt drill goes up 3000rpm cf 1200 for the CXS. But hard to compare further than that.

I imagine the C15 or T15 would be the best way to go but can't afford them.

Any advice greatly appreciated as ever!

Gidon

Personally I'd buy the Makita 18v Li-Ion but then I'm Makita born and bred.

I've not been too impressed with the newer DeWalt stuff, they seem to be cutting costs too much and everything has started to take on B&D quality again (I used to work for the group so had access to virtually every tool they produced).

If you take a look at ITS, they have some good deals on Metabo. 18v 4.0Ah combi drill with two batteries £219.99 +VAT or the combi drill and impact driver with two batteries in Systainer style case for £279.99 +VAT.

IMO at that price range you would be better off with the DeWalt's and Bosch variations as opposed to the CXS, once you go up a notch then I could see an argument towards Festool but then your in the high end of £300.

Be sure to google the battery issues with Makita before investing in their kit - I've been bitten by it.

For £220 territory I would be looking at a Bosch 10.8v drill and impact driver combo - more convenient and practical - less changing of bits and dedicated units for the task. If you can get one in the carton less the usual case it may get the cost down further.

Hi and thanks.

I know there are many alternatives but just seeing if anyone out there has compared the cxs to a few year old Dewalt 14.4v nimh drill.

Gidon

The CXS is a great drill/driver - I've had one since they first came out. Put a gun to my head and tell me I can only have one 10.8v drill/driver, and I'd choose the CXS in a heartbeat. It's compact, lightweight, powerful and well thought-out with some lovely touches - magnetic panel for bits and screws, belt clip etc...

I use mine for probably 90% of my drilling, but as good as it is, I wouldn't want it as my only drill, 'cos sometimes I just need more grunt. Yes, if you have a search around YouTube you'll find videos of people using one to drill a hole through a railway sleeper with an auger bit, but that's not what it's meant to do on a regular basis. Don't forget as well, that the CXS has a relatively small capacity chuck - 8mm vs 10mm for most other 10.8v drills; it's also a bit front-heavy with the regular chuck, so expect to be investing in a set of Centrotec drills, bits and holders if you do go for one.

And of course, once you've gone to that expense and used the CXS for a while, it makes perfect sense to add a T15 into the mix for the heavier stuff. A T15 & CXS is a *very* nice combination... ;)

gidon":2522skg7 said:
I have a small Festool addiction and am very tempted by the CXS since the price looks ok for Festool (£225).
petermillard":2522skg7 said:
And of course, once you've gone to that expense and used the CXS for a while, it makes perfect sense to add a T15 into the mix for the heavier stuff. A T15 & CXS is a *very* nice combination... ;)

That's the real rub, the cost of the Festool item that we rationalise to ourselves is not the real cost - we need to factor in what it leads to which is ultimately a lot more Festool stuff.

The Festool CXS is the gateway drug, they know what they are doing, all part of their plan :wink:

shed9":2kwm3cap said:
That's the real rub, the cost of the Festool item that we rationalise to ourselves is not the real cost - we need to factor in what it leads to which is ultimately a lot more Festool stuff.

The Festool CXS is the gateway drug, they know what they are doing, all part of their plan :wink:

I'm immune to their plan to take over the world. I had a salesman persuade me to try some Festool tools last year and I wasn't that impressed TBH. They don't do the job any better than my Makita and they're at least twice the price. I personally think a lot of their popularity is down to brand snobbery (due to the price) and keeping up with the Jones'.

Thanks chaps.

I've gone for the CXS and will get some replacement batteries for my Dewalt stuff - I have a very handy Dewalt cordless circular saw that also takes the same battery.

I'm still curious to see how it compares to my Dewalt 14.4V drills but will just have to see.

It is a shame that it only takes up to 8mm - but think you can get a bigger chuck if need be ...

Would love the T15 too but just can't justify it at the moment (even with £50 off over £400 offer from Festool).

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":37wfq7rf said:
Thanks chaps.

I've gone for the CXS and will get some replacement batteries for my Dewalt stuff - I have a very handy Dewalt cordless circular saw that also takes the same battery.

I'm still curious to see how it compares to my Dewalt 14.4V drills but will just have to see.

It is a shame that it only takes up to 8mm - but think you can get a bigger chuck if need be ...

Would love the T15 too but just can't justify it at the moment (even with £50 off over £400 offer from Festool).

Cheers

Gidon

You won't regret it ,I got the cxs set a few months ago and it's come in handy a few times. The angle gizmo is great for getting in tight spaces. I don't use it for heavy stuff I've got bigger drills for that.

gidon":4ubuaugu said:
Thanks chaps.

Cheers

Gidon

Let us know how you get on. I'm considering one for my workshop. My makita bhp451 is a bit big/ heavy for small boxes etc.

The CXS is a smashing drill and I rate it very highly, but the main reason for getting a CXS is if you plan on using Festool's interchangeable drill/driver bit system or Fast Fix angled heads for confined spaces. It's a fast and extremely accurate system (many interchangeable bit systems just don't centre all that well) but of course it all comes at a cost. However, if you don't see much of an advantage in the Festool bit system then I wouldn't bother with a CXS. There are plenty of other drill/drivers out there that will do a basic job of installing screws just as well at half the price.

custard":3qt3o6td said:
The CXS is a smashing drill and I rate it very highly, but the main reason for getting a CXS is if you plan on using Festool's interchangeable drill/driver bit system or Fast Fix angled heads for confined spaces. It's a fast and extremely accurate system (many interchangeable bit systems just don't centre all that well) but of course it all comes at a cost. However, if you don't see much of an advantage in the Festool bit system then I wouldn't bother with a CXS. There are plenty of other drill/drivers out there that will do a basic job of installing screws just as well at half the price.

I have a cxs but doubt I will ever buy into the centrotec system, its way over priced for what it is. I did consider the little metabo version of the cxs. That has an angle attachment too but its not 90 degrees which put me off. I do already own a bit of Festool so that swayed me too.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Very quick first impressions - I've not used it for a project just had a play:

The good:
*Lovely design and weight and usual build quality
*Battery life great, charging incredibly quick
*Accessories (right angle and Jacobs chuck) snap on very nicely and should be handy - can leave pilot bit in Jacobs for example

The bad:
*Slightly underwhelmed - it has nowhere near the power of my 14.4v drill - things haven't moved on as much I'd hoped. I was being a little optimistic. An example - I was putting together a little jig and at full power the drill could only just join 2 pieces of MDF finishing the screw flush (no pilot). The 14.4 can do this easily. Not an exhaustive test by any means I know!
*8mm chuck is a shame - can't use Kreg bit for instance - no way around that
*Newish T-loc systainer doesn't fit so well with my existing old style systainers. Can only use above and loose fit - especially over CT Midi vac.

I'm in two minds at the moment - I definitely will need to keep my existing 14.4v dewalt stuff and get some new batteries or buy into new system!

Cheers

Gidon

gidon":2tz5ygg8 said:
Very quick first impressions - I've not used it for a project just had a play:

The good:
*Lovely design and weight and usual build quality
*Battery life great, charging incredibly quick
*Accessories (right angle and Jacobs chuck) snap on very nicely and should be handy - can leave pilot bit in Jacobs for example

The bad:
*Slightly underwhelmed - it has nowhere near the power of my 14.4v drill - things haven't moved on as much I'd hoped. I was being a little optimistic. An example - I was putting together a little jig and at full power the drill could only just join 2 pieces of MDF finishing the screw flush (no pilot). The 14.4 can do this easily. Not an exhaustive test by any means I know!
*8mm chuck is a shame - can't use Kreg bit for instance - no way around that
*Newish T-loc systainer doesn't fit so well with my existing old style systainers. Can only use above and loose fit - especially over CT Midi vac.

I'm in two minds at the moment - I definitely will need to keep my existing 14.4v dewalt stuff and get some new batteries or buy into new system!

Cheers

Gidon
Thank you. Sounds like i will need something a bit more powerful than this then. :)

gidon":wb2qofg7 said:
*Slightly underwhelmed - it has nowhere near the power of my 14.4v drill - things haven't moved on as much I'd hoped. I was being a little optimistic. An example - I was putting together a little jig and at full power the drill could only just join 2 pieces of MDF finishing the screw flush (no pilot). The 14.4 can do this easily.
As I said further up, I wouldn't want one as my only drill/driver, but having said that, my CXS can easily join 2 pieces of MDF - be pretty rubbish if it couldn't! - what screws are you using?

Quick and dirty videos here - Spax screws are driving into the surface as deep as the bit holder will allow:-

https://vimeo.com/83688890

https://vimeo.com/83689031

http://vimeo.com/83689160

22mm MR MDF, 6x2 planed redwood, screw sizes 4 x 35, 4.5 x 70 and 5 x 100mm.

HTH Pete

This was only a comparison to the 14.4v - so all else equal, there is no comparison! Not Spax screws - Screwfix's own 8 gauge if I recall - but as I said only a comparison.

I wasn't trying to criticise the CXS - there's no doubt looking at the reviews that it's a great drill for its purpose. My OP was purely trying to find out how it would compare to what I have - which no one had direct experience with hence my previous post. It may help someone in a similar position.

Kind Regards

Gidon

Just a quick update:

Yes the drill is underpowered compared to my Dewalt, but for screwdriving I'm reaching for it every time! The trouble is I've now persuaded myself that I really need the 18V PDC to go with it ;)!

I also got some Spax screws which I have tried before but was put off by price. The difference in driving compared to the budget Screwfix screws is incredible - thanks Peter! Trouble is almost 4 times the price!

Gidon

gidon":2z8l7us8 said:
Just a quick update:

Yes the drill is underpowered compared to my Dewalt, but for screwdriving I'm reaching for it every time! The trouble is I've now persuaded myself that I really need the 18V PDC to go with it ;)!

I also got some Spax screws which I have tried before but was put off by price. The difference in driving compared to the budget Screwfix screws is incredible - thanks Peter! Trouble is almost 4 times the price!

Gidon
Good to hear it's working out; I stopped using cheap screwfix screws a while back - too many failures of one sort or another per box, and life's too short. I tend to use Spax because my local yard stocks them, but I've had good results with Reisser R2s and also TimCo Velocity (ironmongery direct - maybe other places too) - TimCo also do reasonably priced stainless screws, which is handy.

Haven't used the PDC-18, but by all accounts the hammer action is *very* noisy, so try one out first! FWIW the T15 is a very torquey drill/driver, considering it's 'only' a 14.4v - torquey enough to run my Souber lock morticer when I inadvertently left the corded drill behind one day, which is more than my 18v DeWalt could ever manage.

Anyway, next step you'll be investing in a set of Centrotec brad-points to sort out that drilling niggle ;)

Cheers, Pete

Back