Festool CTL 26

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alexam":2f3xmgsa said:
Well, I've chatted with Axminster and they have the ctl 26 stocks arriving this week, so will be taking a trip up to Nuneaton on Friday for a good look. From what I have read, seen on video and on forums, this Festool model does seem to be the best. With HEPA quality filtration and its power, I should get a far superior filtration. Next in addition would be the air filter. Possibly the Jet 1000, although from reports I have seen, it works well for a couple of years, then some problems occur with the controls. I need a reasonable size as its a double garage of approx 110 m3, so this would do, unless you know of another air filter that size worth looking at?

When I first considered dust, I had not fully considered the very fine dust that can not be seen and thought anything would do, but looking into this problem has opened my eyes, and will open my wallet a fair bit to keep me operating without health problems. I do believe that there should be far more awareness of the health problems and protection needed when woodworking.
Capturing fine dust is really hard - and usually requires significant air flow (CFM). Unfortunately, many tools such as sanders really need good pressure for extraction - which means a shop vac as opposed to a low pressure/high volume impeller based extractor.

My general approach with large machines is extraction using an impeller based extractor, and venting outside (ideally through a cyclone, though I haven't done that [yet]).

For things such as sanding - I try to do those jobs outdoors, as I find it's just too hard to get really good capture of the dust.

Just back from Axminster with a few essentials like the CTL26 and NVQ750 to get some cleaner air around me when working. Henry will now be retired to the shed.

That's what I am telling myself. I did make an error and changed the nv750 for the nvd750, as the first one was too similar to the Festool vac and I needed one with a 100mm inlet for the bandsaw and the P/T. Axminster were very understanding. Probably though ........ Silly old woodworker. Lol

Alex. I read about your asthma. My advice is put your dust extraction so that it vents to the outside. Even the best extractors if they are venting in the work room mean you are getting some recycled dust. Plus if you vent outside the air pressure is negative keeping dust away from your lungs.

Thanks for that Peter. As it happens, with the new NVD750, there is a port that can be piped outside rather than into the shop. However, this new extractor is HEPA filtered, which is an improvement on my Clarke 50L CDE1000, which I will be disposing of now. I also have a Microclean MC760, which I have on the bench and it does an excellent job when sanding. For the rest of the year + it's WAR against dust and work harder on the boxes.

Latest posts

Back