Festool extractors M or L class

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I was watching a vid the other day on which festool extractor to buy. I dont really really need one, but i seem to be in an extractor buying mood, so I wanted to find one that was at the start of the range.
So we've got CTL and CTM and M class for dust like MDF or hardwoods, and L class for softwoods and everything else, with the M class being touted as being the better purchase, which of course is the more expensive line.

While watching some one popped up from a tradesman, explaining that far as he could see there is no difference between the L class and the M class as both take the exact same filters.
Which is a fair point. You would think for the M class it would have a different filter, but if both filters are the same, then there can be no difference between the two filtration wise.
(If i was buying, i'd be looking at the CTL Mini)

Explained here

I didn't watch the entire video, just enough to expect the video creator will likely be a COPD candidate later. The difference between the L, M, and H class is explained in this screenshot from the Festool site:

Festool-LMH-Class.png

The "annoying alarm system" in the M class machines alert the user (hopefully) that the bag full or line is clogged so the user can stop generating the hazardous dust and fix the issue. Without the alarm, it's possible that a user might not notice dust extraction system is no longer working as designed. Festool states elsewhere in their website that the "CT-SYS, CTL MINI or MIDI Festool extractors are recommended for light drilling work, cleaning loose dirt and carrying out repairs or cleaning work at construction sites", while the CTM series are for operations where wood or concrete dust is created. However, the bags and filters on the CTL and CTM versions of each machine are the same, so if a user paid attention to the level of the bag, there might not be a need for the more expensive M version.

In my shop, I have a CTM 36 connected to my Kapex. Everything collected at the dust shroud goes into the dust bag in the CTM. In the other section of my shop, where I use powered hand tools, I have a CTL 26 with the Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy Cyclone. Almost everything goes into the cyclone bin. In the past year, I've emptied the cyclone bin five or six times but the bag in the CTL is still nearly empty. When the cyclone bin is full to the point where it blocks the bottom of the cyclone, everything is routed to the CTL bag.

As I tell others who ask me about my dust collection systems, it's your lungs...you decide.

Back