Which of these Axi Extractors? needs to be small, 3 pin plug and able to use fine filter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all, I have a small 6x3m workshop and need to extract from a bandsaw with 2x100mm ports and a router table with an Incra cleansweep box (100mm port.) Chop saw and sanders/tracksaw currently using Festool extractors. In the future I will need to extract from a lunchbox planer to also use as a jointer with a sled (don't have space for a planer/thicknesser really.

Trying to decide between:

AW153E workshop range with optional fine filter - 1.5kw - 2,000 m³/hr @ 100mm with cloth bag, presume less if i add the fine filter, but how much?
AW118CE CYCLONE workshop range has fine filter - 1.5kw - 1,390 m³/hr @ 100 mm - takes up a bit more space
AP60E Professional range has fine filter - only 750w - 850 m³/hr @ 100 mm

The workshop ones seem to have 1.5kw motors compared to the similarly priced Professional ones with 750w. Presumably the money on the professional range goes into better build which i should be ok with as this is just a hobby environnment.

Wonder if anyone has had to make a similar choice or has any of these machines?
Cheers
Dave

I've just bought the AW118CE in the black Friday sale (don't forget code SAVETEN for an extra 10% off).
My workshop is a little smaller than yours but this sits nicely in a corner and I feel the space taken is justified! I found the measurements on the Axminster website make it look a little bigger than it actually is, if you're not in a mad hurry I can take some photos and measurements for you this evening. It's got some serious suck to it and seems solid, but was a pain in the buttocks to assemble.
I've not given it anywhere near enough use to make a recommendation yet, but four days in I'm feeling happy with my purchase.

I've just bought the AW118CE in the black Friday sale (don't forget code SAVETEN for an extra 10% off).
My workshop is a little smaller than yours but this sits nicely in a corner and I feel the space taken is justified! I found the measurements on the Axminster website make it look a little bigger than it actually is, if you're not in a mad hurry I can take some photos and measurements for you this evening. It's got some serious suck to it and seems solid, but was a pain in the buttocks to assemble.
I've not given it anywhere near enough use to make a recommendation yet, but four days in I'm feeling happy with my purchase.
Thanks for feedback. I was worried about it being a bit big as well. Any photos would be cool. I wonder if the black friday deal finishes at midnight or sometime Monday? Not really clear on the website. I see that the AW118 is backordered as well, bummer.
Can i ask what prompted you to go for the AW118CE over the AW153E without the cyclone?

Two things to understand. Most high volume low pressure (HVLP) collectors are rated with only the impeller and no ducting, filters, etc on them. In the real world they draw about half the claims. Secondly ducts have limits to the amount of air that can flow through them because of wall surface drag to cross sectional area. A 100mm duct tops out at about 765 cubic meters per hour. A 150mm duct flows triple the volume of a 100mm.

Pete

Ok I've got a bit more time now than expected so I've taken a few quick photos.
That's a shame about it being back ordered, I guess they've sold a few in the sale!
I went for this model because I wanted something with a cyclone and a fine filter, this ticked both boxes without requiring any extra work or sourcing parts. The cyclone saves a lot of wear on the filters, I always used my record DX5000 with a crude home made cyclone and it saved so much hassle cleaning or replacing filters so I'm happy to take that hit on suction. Unfortunately the record DX5000 doesn't really cope with my table saw and it's a waste of time on the lathe, hence the upgrade.

20221127_150252.jpg

You probably can't make out the tape measure, but I'm making it 995mm across, the Axminster measurements must include the black hose adapter which I don't count, that's high enough it won't get in the way for me.

20221127_150350.jpg

20221127_150415.jpg

And I make it 545mm wide, not sure where Axminster are getting 570mm from but every little helps in a small workshop.

20221127_150450.jpg

Axminster's 1785mm high is a little over too, I'm getting around 1750mm.

Before anyone comments on my ziptied NVR switch, once this is parked up in the corner it'll be darn near impossible to reach the switch and I think we can all agree dust extractors don't need NVRs anyway! The cable is long enough to plug in somewhere more accessible so I'm happy activating it at the wall.

Two things to understand. Most high volume low pressure (HVLP) collectors are rated with only the impeller and no ducting, filters, etc on them. In the real world they draw about half the claims. Secondly ducts have limits to the amount of air that can flow through them because of wall surface drag to cross sectional area. A 100mm duct tops out at about 765 cubic meters per hour. A 150mm duct flows triple the volume of a 100mm.

Pete
Hi Pete, thanks. I've seen a number of your posts where you mention that limit for 100mm ducts. It seems nuts that the appliances come with 100mm but ask for airflow that exceeds that limit! Presumably running a 125 or 150mm hose and reducing to 100mm at the outlet doesn't help at all?

Ok I've got a bit more time now than expected so I've taken a few quick photos.
Thanks so much for the photos, that's really helpful and as you say it seems a bit more compact than they suggest. I reckon that might be the one to get. The one without the cyclone obviously takes up a bit less space but I've never used a proper extractor so will have to take your advice about cyclones being less annoying. Appreciate you taking the time to post the photos!

As with everything in life it's a trade off. The cyclone seperates most of the dust and chips out before it gets to the main filters, but the added turbulence reduces the airflow and suction. I'm happy to make that compromise but others may disagree!

Thought I should update the thread to say what I bought. I really appreciated the photos from @frankendoodle65, they actually made me realise it would be too big for my space so I went with the AW153E with the optional fine filter. Got the extractor for £300 in the Black Friday sale and they knocked another £30 off as there were a couple of dents in the steel body.

Coming from a Festool CTL26 the difference on the router table is pretty great and works very well on my new Laguna bandsaw. This thing has much more suck than i was expecting for the price. Couldn't find anyting better at this price that runs off a 3 pin plug. I would definitely recommend it for a hobbyist in a smaller workshop.

IMG_3199.JPG

Thought I should update the thread to say what I bought. I really appreciated the photos from @frankendoodle65, they actually made me realise it would be too big for my space so I went with the AW153E with the optional fine filter. Got the extractor for £300 in the Black Friday sale and they knocked another £30 off as there were a couple of dents in the steel body.

Coming from a Festool CTL26 the difference on the router table is pretty great and works very well on my new Laguna bandsaw. This thing has much more suck than i was expecting for the price. Couldn't find anyting better at this price that runs off a 3 pin plug. I would definitely recommend it for a hobbyist in a smaller workshop.

View attachment 150959
Nice!
Think it needs to be a bit closer to the bandsaw!!

Nice, I gather that's essentially the same machine I have minus the cyclone, not surprised you're impressed with the suction because I certainly was too!

And you're right about space, mine certainly takes up a bit of room and I sometimes wonder if I should have gone for something a bit smaller too 🤔

Nice, I gather that's essentially the same machine I have minus the cyclone, not surprised you're impressed with the suction because I certainly was too!

And you're right about space, mine certainly takes up a bit of room and I sometimes wonder if I should have gone for something a bit smaller too 🤔
Thanks @frankendoodle65 It's one of those decisions, like the bandsaw that I agonised over for so long but am delighted with it so far for my needs.

Back