Festool 8mm collet hit me - ouch!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam9453

Established Member
Reaction score
Well actually it was the price that hit me, now we all know festool stuff is pricey but £35 for an 8mm collet just seems like daylight robbery! I've ordered it so getting ready for buyers regret to kick in lol
Rant over :D

I think the price of Festool tools these days is not too bad, but they do make up for it with the accessories like extractor bags, countersinks etc, way overpriced.

Doug

Doug71":qpvrx1h9 said:
I think the price of Festool tools these days is not too bad, but they do make up for it with the accessories like extractor bags, countersinks etc, way overpriced.

Doug

Thats interesting, i always thoughts their hoover bags were pretty reasonably priced. Half the price of our home hoover bags. Agree on other stuff though, but it is all very good quality for the most part. Except for the damned wings for the domino, which are terrible.

Yorkshire Martin you are right about the price of extractor bags, I just looked and Makita, Fein, Trend etc all charge around £5 for a fleece style bag same as Festool, I was comparing them to the price of the older style paper bags everyone else used to use, didn't realise everyone does the fleece bags now.

Doug

skipdiver":ga3nqrrm said:
I'm sure festool stuff is good but i think it's way overpriced personally.

Have you ever used any of there gear in a professional environment? If you had it would make a lot of sense!

Adidat

I used to think how can you justify the extra cost but then once the Rep comes to your workshop and lets you try out whatever you like (with no pressure to buy), the difference is big IMO.
I used to hate using the ROS because it kicked up so much dust even with the extraction on, with festool the dust extraction is amazing and makes the job so much more pleasureable let alone more efficient as you don't have to waste time cleaning up after.
The price of the accessories can sting but the rewards from using the best tool for the job (IMO) outweigh it, well eventually lol

Some things aren't cheap but then others are surprisingly comparable with other manufacturers, track saws being a prime example. Some things are more but are just worth it. I love my CXS and use it all the time. Who wants to have a really heavy drill driver for everything. £35 for a collet is steep and I wanted a back stop for my rail the other day and that was £13 I think. It's a tiny bit of plastic. However 3 yr warranty and theft protection etc makes the big costs all make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adidat":35bz82oi said:
skipdiver":35bz82oi said:
I'm sure festool stuff is good but i think it's way overpriced personally.

Have you ever used any of there gear in a professional environment? If you had it would make a lot of sense!

Adidat

Got a mate who is a kitchen fitter and he has Festool everything. He can't fit a kitchen any better or faster than me, so although i've not used it and i'm sure it has much merit, for me it's like designer clothes; the label commands the price.

Just a personal opinion.

Festool is generally good stuff and I think worth the money, people tend to be all or nothing with it. Once you buy anything Festool you have entered into the "system", it just all works together, everything you buy after that initial purchase is more then often Festool.

Doug

Back