Felder F48 power feeder problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikelewis

Reaction score
I am currently making my own windows using the trend modular system, and I'm having a nightmare with the power feeder. I have read all the instruction, watched all the videos on YouTube tried so may variations that I have lost count.

I am having two problems when I feed the stock through which is engineered oak blanks, the wood is pushed out, mainly at the end of the stock, and secondly with a different set of tools the wood is cut deeper at the end. It seems that the wood is being pushed into the cutter at the end. I have fitted MDF fences for each of the tooling set ups as advised but the problems are still there.

The other question is how to you contact a user, whydi posted a useful reply on the same topic and would like to contact him.

If anyone is interested I can post a video on YouTube showing the exact problems.

Thanks

Sounds like your outfeed fence needs winding forward more ? Out of curiosity if you swing the feeder out the way, and with the machine turned off just push it through, does it still dip in at the end? The only other thing i can think of, is the wood isnt exactly square and its dipping in on the last bit when you've removed the longest out of square bit
43777c4b88eb7dd9e1a437b2b0413ab1.jpg
a I'm assuming you've got the rollers angled to pull the wood in tight to the fence ?
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Edit just to add, sometimes I'll push a piece of wood through twice, if for some reason it wasn't square and it dipped on the end.That usually removes any tiny lumps/pits.

Are you slightly toeing in the feeder towards the fence (the far end from where you feed) so as the rollers hold the timber tight against the fence, in addition are all the rollers parallel to the bed so as all grip the material.

If they are out of parallel with the bed and only the first roller is actually pulling on the timber then when the timber exits the first roller it could be loose and not controlled by the feeder

The wood is perfectly square and if I fed it by hand there is no issue, however the cut is so deep that I cant do the entire cut in one go by hand, I can't push it against the fence so I do it in three passes. The problem occurs as it's the outer profile of the sash and the frame is already glued and its difficult to feed by hand, so I tried the feeder as I bought it with the spindle moulder.

I don't think the wheels are parallel to the table I think the front wheel is lower than the last, so will adjust this and get back to you.

Thanks

I could quickly take a pic of my roller setup if that might help ?

I've been gathering tools I've had scattered everywhere so needed an excuse to dump em in the workshop ;)
46131a3c688f07c28e6ffbe577072e68.jpg

My foot is the infeed side. Im sure you know this anyway but just make sure the rollers are angled as to pull it in tight to the fence (note the furthest outfeed roller is nearly touching the outfeed fence) only other thing is the position of the rollers to the shaft. Have the gap between your first and second wheel in the centre position of the shaft.

If your fence is straight, and everything's tight to the fence, I'm not quite sure what could be causing it.

Coley

Thanks for the photo, the only difference I can see apart from I have the middle of the four rollers centre to the tooling and your offset is greater than mine, I used the manually which states 5 - 6mm. It's the same, I will try the wheel adjustment tomorrow and get them pararrel to the table and see if that helps.

Just googled yours and looks like it's a 4 wheeler- I guess the same applies ? Perhaps have 2 wheels each side of the shaft?

Are you using a false fence, if not could your toe in be pulling in the last bit of timber after it clears the in-feed fence I have experienced this before but all I did was to support the timber against the out-feed fence for the last couple of inches.

A false fence also complies with regs

I took one more pic but wasn't sure if it was worth posting.
9facf2dda39cfaa41296eaeaa49be3b1.jpg

The wheels have got about 10mm suspension travel so I allow them to be pushing 5ishmm. So for a 95mm thick piece of wood, I'd set the roller so there's a 90mm gap underneath.
Did you say you've got a video of what's happening? I'm not sure how rollers could cause the issue to be honest, if the fences are lined up with each other .
The angle of the rollers is probably a bit extreme in the first picture. I found if it's obvious to the eye without measuring, then it's probably steering the wood in the direction of the fence enough.
Coley

I am using a false fence, made of MDF, I will take a photo today of my set up and try and upload to the forum.

I know the table is not level, and I thought that the feeder would have been pararrel to the table regardless of it being not level, however after taking a few measurements the wheels are not pararrel to the fence. My plan is to level the table and have another go. The forum has been very helpful as I would have not thought of the pararrel wheel alignment.

Thanks

Not entirely sure what you mean by the table being not level ?
7b6b881b207a7bf7026d75d1b77ff9b4.jpg

Do you mean the distance from your rollers to the bed are different?
Out feed roller is touching pot noodle, but I've got a 5mmish gap on the infeed. Providing rollers are giving constant pressure, it shouldn't matter ;)

Coley

Mikelewis":88d1llv5 said:
I am using a false fence, made of MDF, I will take a photo today of my set up and try and upload to the forum.

I know the table is not level, and I thought that the feeder would have been pararrel to the table regardless of it being not level, however after taking a few measurements the wheels are not pararrel to the fence. My plan is to level the table and have another go. The forum has been very helpful as I would have not thought of the pararrel wheel alignment.

Thanks
We like pictures ;)
Coley

Back