Fein or CEL or Bosch or Worx?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
I like a bargain and am wondering if the cheaper ones might keep me happy.

Anyone use the CEL - I think I lean towards that most...

Thats true we know the fein would last forever and would always be worth 60% of what was paid for it...

A friend has a Fein but I could not justify the cost so bought the Bosch a year or so ago for under £60.
It's worked fine for the odd times I have used it and can be a "life saver" for some tricky jobs?
The Fein is certainly well made.

Rod

Selly i'm guessing you mean the Multimaster type tools as you never actually stated in your post.

I have the fein its an extremely solid tool but is the most expensive if you need something for regular use get the fein. I use mine for work i'm not sure if you want yours for DIY or Trade use. Either way I would still recommend buying the best you can afford and I posted on here last week about cheaper blades that are available on eBay now that fit the Bosch or the fein.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/mult ... 43684.html

I started with the Bosch but it failed miserably so I bought the Fein, far more solid and appears more powerful.I had used the Fein blades but was getting frustrated at their performance but since getting the WSE blades from HMF Fixings in Amersham, I've had no problems. Got a good deal on some accessories for sanding from Jaycee Tools in Northolt so all systems go.
I think the general advice of get the best you can afford is still true. I thought I would make do with a cheaper tool but got p**sed off with the shortcomings of the Bosch. God help us if Festool bring one out.

Keenedge":2hqgmtv9 said:
I started with the Bosch but it failed miserably so I bought the Fein, far more solid and appears more powerful.I had used the Fein blades but was getting frustrated at their performance but since getting the WSE blades from HMF Fixings in Amersham, I've had no problems. Got a good deal on some accessories for sanding from Jaycee Tools in Northolt so all systems go.
I think the general advice of get the best you can afford is still true. I thought I would make do with a cheaper tool but got p**sed off with the shortcomings of the Bosch. God help us if Festool bring one out.

I used to use Jaycee tools they were my first tool shop when I started out over 20 years ago they have a great Festool set up there .

Not any more, moved from 2 shops in to 1 recently, very few Festool machines on show now. Thames Valley Tool Hire in Uxbridge has a bigger stocked display or ACES at Northwood Hills.

I have the Worx version and it's done everything I've asked of it; sanding, chopping out tiles, cutting tiles, cutting wood and chipboard - so far very reliable and solid.

I have the Fein and the cordless Bosch (blue 10.8v) - they only get used as saws, mostly for awkward or fiddly plunge cuts. The Bosch is in the 'goes everywhere' stack and will get you out of a tight spot, but it flattens a battery faster than anything I've ever seen!

The Fein's good, though mine's old enough for the blade-change to be a pain, and I'm loathe to shell out on a new one as it's used comparatively infrequently. Dust collection is a real lash-up as well - I wish Festool would make one, though they'd probably pitch it at the SuperCut end of the market, not the MultiMaster... :(

Pete

Keenedge":2vcq2ghf said:
Not any more, moved from 2 shops in to 1 recently, very few Festool machines on show now. Thames Valley Tool Hire in Uxbridge has a bigger stocked display or ACES at Northwood Hills.

Wow they must be struggling with this credit crunch. I know they supply Pinewood with a lot of Festool those film guys get too much money :lol: .

We had a guy working for us who is a scenic carpenter and he said the film game is dead at the moment maybe thats affected Jaycee's. I remember when It was one shop and the next shop was Jaycee electrical which is how they started with a small shop on the Uxbridge road in Hayes where I grew up.

Last time I went there they had the Festool logo over the shop on the right and still had another part to the left.

If Carlsberg made tools would they be better than Festool then? :lol: I have the Bosch one and it has been a godsend for those awkward jobs. I have never used the Fein but the Bosch has done a lot of work for me and is still going strong. Only paid £40 for it too. :wink:

Hey all

Just a heads up, this guy sells adapters for using different blades on different machines. I dont have a multitool or pretend to know what they really do, but thought this might be useful to you all in this thread.

www.joaliff.com

Just a guy I met who seems to know his stuff.

Hope it helps

Cheers for the link - interesting.

I pay around £10/blade (irrespective of wood or bi-metal), I wonder how many blades I would have to go thru (of the cheaper variety or Bosch ones) before the cost of the adapter is paid back? Assuming that blade lifespan isn't any less with the cheaper blades?

Cheers

Dibs

The Joaliff adaptors can make your blade buying cheaper but the cheap blades don't last any longer. The WSE blades that are on there are far longer lasting and dont snap at the sniff of a nail. This is what makes it far more economic fairly soon even without taking into consideration the time wasted going and getting replacements and the aggravation involved in not being able to get on with the job you were doing.

I thought the Bosch blades were just as expensive as the Fein ones anyway so I cant see the point in those adapters.

TBH - if I were a pro, the customer would be paying for blades. As I'm not - it's priced into the job and the saving on me doing the job as opposed to getting a man in, is a few quid less. So far I've only ever used the wood & bi-metal ones, all the other ones are still sat in the case.

I have a ton of blades - knackering one isn't really an issue as I just fit another one.

I suppose if money was tight then I might be tempted to get cheaper clone blades - but I have enough to last a yr or 2 and as Harrogate's coming up later this yr probably buy another 50 quids worth (i.e. 5 or so blades).

Dibs

Argos do a challenge brand clone of the bosch too.

I've got the bosch green, used mainly for cutting recesses in plasterboard for sockets etc, and removing silicone sealant with the scraper blade. Works brilliantly, and has saved me loads of time.

Some odd plunge cuts I just couldn't have done without it, like cutting out a section of chipboard floor to get access to some pipes. I could cut right up agains the skirting. wouldn't be without it.

In response to the speculation about Jaycee Tools they are a good old fashioned firm that provides service.They have down sized in West London, but talking to them they have purchased a property on the South coast (Bournemouth area I think) for the larger wood working machines,they are in process of putting in new Festool displays and say they are going to concentrate on Festool Mafell,Fein,Lamello and other quality makes from the Northolt shop.So good luck to them.

Latest posts

Back