fein multimaster gets used at last!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pswallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, some time back I bought A 'fein multimaster',I mostly use it as A detail sander,the finger sander is especially good for getting into those hard to reach places but apart from that I haven't really used any of the other attachments !. . . that is until recently when I had to remove the toilet cistern in my mothers house to install A new flush system. however when I went to lift the cistern of it's mounts I discovered whoever had installed it had used lots and lots of silicon to stick it to the wall...so I tried to use A hand saw to cut it away but to no avail then I tried A hack saw blade,got about an inch done and 'twang' the blade broke,after breaking A few more blades I was just thinking about how many tiles I would have to replace using the crow bar to pull the thing off the wall when I thought about the multimaster.After dusting A half inch of saw dust of the bright orange box I attached the cranked fine cut blade and got to work....the blade cut through the silicon like A hot knife through butter...20 min's later I was packed up and enjoying A well earned ulster fry as payment ! The multimaster now travels in the back of my van with everything else. Phil.

I had a long term loan of one of these as my mate had packed in his tiling business, and I kept forgetting to return it. Quality of build was superb and the long power cable is something I wish other manufacturers would adopt. Original purpose of loan was to cut out some grout around my bathroom tiles. Couldn't fault it, but I felt it was an overpriced toy. Then I had to rebuild a shower cubicle that had suffered from water ingress due to poor construction-that's another story....The builder had installed plywood walls and then put in the ceiling. The walls had to come out as the plywood was severely water damaged. The Fein was was used to trim along the top edge of the plywood so I was able to avoid removing the ceiling, before "tanking" the shower in. Had to return the Fein eventually, but bought myself a Bosch copy. Today, it saved me a load of time and effort "adjusting" a badly built door frame. I am a fan of these tools, my only gripe is the cost of the blades. Rick.

Brilliant tool, I keep finding new jobs for it. I must get a semi circular diamond saw for cutting out grout next.
If you use it a fair bit buy the WSE blades, they last so much longer than cheap blades or the cheaply made Fein originals. The quality is much better.
I'm thinking about cutting up some Abra mesh discs to fit on the sander head, anyone tried this?

I have a Bosch as I could not justify a Fein - they are really useful tools.
I used mine recently to remove some skirting board that had been boxed in.

Rod

I have the Nettos Tooltech - Best £20 I have spent! I fancied the Fein but wanted to see how much I would use such a tool before shelling out so when I saw this at the local Nettos I thought it would do for a quick trial. I have now used it regularly for a year and it still shows no sign of faltering..... When it does (and lets face it for the price its bound to) fail I may well get the Bosch but if I see another cheapy then I might be tempted to just get three and see how many years I get out of them for the money.

dibs":1s7oct0x said:
my only gripe is the cost of the blades. Rick.

I pay less than £10 per blade and never felt it was over-priced considering what it can do and other tools can't. If you are a tradesman the customer should pay for all consumables, i.e. should be priced into the job, after all mileage is priced into a job (or should) - so why not consumables?

WSE blade - wow, and folk think Fein blades are expensive! :roll:

Dibs

Fein blades are expensive as the majority of them sold are only woodcutting blades where as the WSE ones can all cut nails and last at least 5 times longer than the others (even Fein)
Spread the cost of a blade and adaptor out over the life of the blade and they are better value.
Personally I like them but there is a great demand for cheap blades as well. I don't like buying replacements for anything if I can help it!

Keenedge":t4zyni6m said:
Brilliant tool, I keep finding new jobs for it. I must get a semi circular diamond saw for cutting out grout next.
If you use it a fair bit buy the WSE blades, they last so much longer than cheap blades or the cheaply made Fein originals. The quality is much better.
I'm thinking about cutting up some Abra mesh discs to fit on the sander head, anyone tried this?
Yes it doesn't work. The abranet keeps moving around on the triangular pad. Abranet have their own hook and loop system and it doesn't fit everything. HTH. :wink:

Thanks, saved me cutting up a disc for nothing! very pleased as to how they work on my sander with dust extraction, lovely finish too.

Sometimes when I see the amount and price of these kind of tools that are now on the market ,( bosch,skill,worx to name but A few) I think the fein is over priced but it does have some good features that others don't....the long cable ,the blade attachment lever and the 115mm sanding disc is quite good too! Has anyone got the blue bosch 10.8v model?

pswallace":1vuokhkg said:
Sometimes when I see the amount and price of these kind of tools that are now on the market ,( bosch,skill,worx to name but A few) I think the fein is over priced but it does have some good features that others don't....the long cable ,the blade attachment lever and the 115mm sanding disc is quite good too! Has anyone got the blue bosch 10.8v model?

Yep, I carry the blue Bosch 10.8 with me in my 'everyday' toolstack - never known anything suck the life out of a battery faster tbh, but when you need it you need it. The Fein may seem expensive compared to the rest on the market, but I've run mine literally for hours at a time on some jobs, it can end up so hot you can only hold it with gloves on - but it keeps on working. Great piece of kit.

Pete

I had a multimaster a few years now they're great. Guy at work wanted one after seeing mine but he went and bought the Bosch battery one, you can't tell some people :roll: . He is on his second one now and that's on its way out now complete rubbish.

I bought the Bosch GOP 10.8V thing recently as part of a kit with a drill/driver. Initially the batteries didn't last any time, but they've been getting better. I guess I get about 1/2 hour using the sanding pad gently. If I'm using it to cut metal at high speed that drops down a lot, but I don't do that often.

It is more thirsty than the drill, but it's sooo useful for the times when you need it, I can live with that!

Latest posts

Back