Feeling old

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my 85th birthday card off my grandson last July a d it read Growing old is inevitable growing up is optional.
I walk for my daily paper, only just over a mile go sequence dancing every Monday night a d last weekend walked across the apex of my workshop to fix a leak.
Maybe l should think about growing old.
Alan.:unsure:

I've just celebrated my 82nd birthday. I have just changed 9 doors in my house and am now in the process of painting them. I run all the events at my local snooker club and still play in the team myself. I can still do 10 mile hikes over rough terrain with my 44 year old son. Still capable of digging up roots in the garden and doing lots of computer work.

I know I'm old when I've been on my knees and try to get up again and, the old neck gives a bit of gip when I try to look over my shoulder in the car!

As far as I am concerned age is definitley just a number.

No sugar or sugary foods, then try the 50% diet as rule of thumb; eat/drink as per normal but half the quantity. Top up with more water.
Then once in control relax a bit and eating less eventually becomes normal. Things like fish n chips or pub meal helpings suddenly seem huge so you ask for one between two of you (with apologies for being on a diet!). Also halves the cost so you can lash out and eat better quality stuff. Win win win; lose weight, spend less, eat better!
Thanks man ... to be fair I know this...I just find it depressing, 'cause I do love my food!

...... I do love my food!
So do I but you just train your guts to say you've had enough, sooner rather than later.
No loss of pleasure at all - "normal" helpings just seem suddenly too big. e.g. a normal pub starter may be enough on its own and you just can't face the main course.

So do I but you just train your guts to say you've had enough, sooner rather than later.
No loss of pleasure at all - "normal" helpings just seem suddenly too big. e.g. a normal pub starter may be enough on its own and you just can't face the main course.
How true this is. Sometimes just go for a starter and a pudding!

Thanks man ... to be fair I know this...I just find it depressing, 'cause I do love my food!
I sympathise.
For me, having a very limited sense of taste and smell, sitting down to a meal is just a refueling stop. I've never looked into it but I think taste/smell may also be linked to appetite so its very easy for me to control my intake and also to only consume the healthy stuff. Presumably this may have contributed to my weight remaining stable over the last 60 years and not having any health issues.
So I think it's a blessing really - you don't miss what you've never had.

The big renovation is finished save for a bit of paint and wallpaper, the child bride is happy and today is a workshop day having a big tidy up in preparation for getting the aircraftery back into production.
The reno was pretty tough in the early stages but I've got my energy levels back again so happy about that but advancing old age is still bringing up new issues.
Included in the tidy- up is sharpening all my planes an chisels and its always been my practice to shave a few hairs from somewhere to check the keeness of the blade. But I can't do that now because I can't find a hairy bit without underlying wrinkles. This is something new.
And wife's suggestion that I drop my trousers, pull my knee up to my chin and shave the tightened skin on my butt is not really helpful, either.☹

I am 25 with 50 years experience, I still get things done even if it is only a half a day at a time, finding new ways to do things rather than straining my back is an endless job and arthritis combined with occasional gout makes sure I have enough pain to keep me awake, ha ha

Back on c25k Couch to 5k - C25K Running Program
Not quite strictly to the program but getting there.
Next is to join up short intervals and do a whole 20 minutes.
It's quite energising and afterwards you feel better and more active.
Highly recommended!

My wife doesn't consider me old - I'm 69 - but she considers some of the people she works with old, and they're just top side of 50.

I always liked the reply to "act your age!" - how can I act my age, I've never been this old.
At the other end of the spectrum, at school, I was often told not to be childish.

I've only just caught up with this thread and if it's any consolation, I am surprised from the posters I recognise stating how old they are and had thought most younger :)
I am turning 40 this year - now that's old! :ROFLMAO:

I've only just caught up with this thread and if it's any consolation, I am surprised from the posters I recognise stating how old they are and had thought most younger :)
I am turning 40 this year - now that's old! :ROFLMAO:
If 40 is old what am I at 82 in a few month's time i still go to work every day i don't believe in sitting at home waiting for the UNDERTAKER ?

If 40 is old what am I at 82 in a few month's time i still go to work every day i don't believe in sitting at home waiting for the UNDERTAKER ?
I'm only 78. Still time to get my career going. :unsure:

Last edited:
Physically I'm 69 but mentally still early 20s. That gets interesting at times.
Today I have 6 meter³ of firewood being delivered and have to move and stack it in the woodshed. I can still do that without too many breaks to recover 🌝

Physically I'm 69 but mentally still early 20s. That gets interesting at times.
Today I have 6 meter³ of firewood being delivered and have to move and stack it in the woodshed. I can still do that without too many breaks to recover 🌝
Grief, it’s just the monotony of that sort of job that does my head in.

Latest posts

Back