Fast dovetails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, John, not necessarily. You can easily have half a tail at the edge, if you choose, and the pin would then not be at the edge of the board. Forget all about edges......that is a red herring......and return to what I have said twice already. Just look at the shape of the worked ends of the boards when they are lying flat on the bench, viewed from above. The one that has tail-shaped pieces sticking out of the end is the tail board. The one that has straight bits sticking out is the pin board.

Please can you leave this alone now.........we've had two pages trying to explain this simple concept to you.

Mike

Mike?

Which John!
What did I say!

:D

Ignoring the fact that 90 deg is an 'angle';
I'll rephrase:

Both parts of a dovetail joint (tails and pins) have straight cuts and angled cuts.

The tails have the angled cuts going across 'long-grain' (or face grain) and the straight cut will be across end grain.

The pins will have straight cuts going along the face-grain and 'angled' cuts across the end grain. Does that make sense?

Now, I'm going to cut some Bridle joints...

:D

John

With Mikes suggestion (which works) how do you tell before you have made the joint :)

I'm wanting something has I requested in the first place , how do I remember which is which in my mind.

devonwoody":2j3wiglu said:
With Mikes suggestion (which works) how do you tell before you have made the joint :)

I'm wanting something has I requested in the first place , how do I remember which is which in my mind.

Don't!! Just don't.........

Go out to the workshop, and make up a dovetail joint from some scraps. Take a felt-tip pen and write on each board in big letters....."Tail board" "Pin Board" as appropriate, checking against the reference drawings posted above. Drill a bit hole in one of them, smack a nail into the wall, hang it up, and go have a look at it before you ask, ever again, which one is which.

Please.

Mike

.......anything more on this will just look, once again, like the actions of a Troll

I could stick a piece of paper up on the wall, much easier this morning, 2" of frost around.

Anyway if I make a pin line first on a piece of timber which has a straight line marked from the edge I know that is going to be the pin piece.

But I always mark out the tails first :x

robcosman":2fcz0v1k said:
Tell you what I will do. For any orders I receive off my website, if you mention this thread I will send 30% of the total to the Red Cross Haiti fund. You have to trust me on this and I will give you an accounting at the end.
Rob

February passed.

No takers on the offer identified themselves so I sent in another $100.00 anyway. don't like advertising this but you asked and I did say I would return and report.
CHeers
Rob

Rob, I have a question about your dovetail saw: the white plastic handle is molded or mechanically shaped?

Auguste Gusteau

Back