Fast dovetails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mr grimsdale":u8yt3cev said:
devonwoody":u8yt3cev said:
DavidC, can you define the difference between a pin and a tail so the my mind recognizes the part in my mind when these terms are mentioned?

(it might be my age that is the problem)
It's easier if you forget tails altogether and just think pins and pin holes. It's the pin end grain which is the most obvious feature, the 'tails' are just the bits left in between.

I think my problem is that my pins and tails are inclined to be of equal size so I dont know the difference.

Got an idea, that if the outside edges of the timber runs to the end of the board that must be the pin piece,

What do you think?

Nice to hear from you

The tails have the 'cut' running at an 'angle' to the 'face-grain'.
The pins have the 'cut' running at an 'angle' to the 'end-grain'.
The gaps in between should be bigger 'oles too!

I think I solved it. As 90 deg is also 'an angle', I think I'm just gonna do box joints! Then it's the same thing either way! :lol:

Now I really am getting into the shop!
TTFN folks

John :D

devonwoody":1gk934s3 said:
mr grimsdale":1gk934s3 said:
devonwoody":1gk934s3 said:
DavidC, can you define the difference between a pin and a tail so the my mind recognizes the part in my mind when these terms are mentioned?

(it might be my age that is the problem)
It's easier if you forget tails altogether and just think pins and pin holes. It's the pin end grain which is the most obvious feature, the 'tails' are just the bits left in between.

I think my problem is that my pins and tails are inclined to be of equal size so I dont know the difference.

Got an idea, that if the outside edges of the timber runs to the end of the board that must be the pin piece,

What do you think?

Nice to hear from you
Hmm you've got me confused now.
Perhaps just ask yourself which are the pins / pinholes and try not to use the word 'tails' at all.

OK this is the TAIL piece, right?

tailw.jpg

I know you don't bother with my posts, but take your own drawing and pretend to view it from above as though the piece of wood were lying flat on the bench. Are the shapes at the end tail-like, as I described pages back? Yes......

........ergo, this is the tail board.

Mike

devonwoody":149cruju said:
OK this is the TAIL piece, right?

tailw.jpg
Nope. Forget tails. Those are pin holes.

'Open side' is confusing too as you can have half a pin (half a pin hole) on the edge - or not, depending on the design.
(actually it'd be more than half or it looks a bit mean).

yeah but mine are equal size pins and tails
Nope. They are pins with similar sized spaces between.

No tails is just one less thing to think about.

devonwoody":1jyejr8b said:
Mike, no problem, thanks this is a tail piece and the timber end edges are open, perhaps I can remember it that way.
Except you could have half a tail on the edge which would make it 'closed'

mr grimsdale":1yr7qq49 said:
devonwoody":1yr7qq49 said:
Mike, no problem, thanks this is a tail piece and the timber end edges are open, perhaps I can remember it that way.
Except you could have half a tail on the edge which would make it 'closed'

No I would design it so there was an open edge each side, so that is a tail?

The reason for wanting to know is because sometime a rebate is needed for a drawer bottom.

Rebates for drawer bottoms are not so good as a groove, or drawer-slips.

The groove should go through the lower 'Tail', in the drawewr side, so it doesn't show as a quare hole on the drawer front.

So, Mike G's 'Dovetails' or 'Fishtails' are' always on the drawer sides.

Unless you want to show them on the front as a design feature, rather than a 'mistake'. :wink:

regards
John

I am now fascinated by this terminology thing...off to WIKI when that happens...

522200325518_dovei2.jpg

Good article HERE TOO

There is also a fantastic picture on there:

200px-Meteora_DoveTail.jpg

Decaying Dovetail joint of chest at The Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas Anapausas (Μονή του Αγίου Νικολάου), Meteora, Greece

The monks did that in 5 minutes 32 seconds! :D :D :D

Fascinating article

Jim

Thank you jimi43,

Best description for me,

Pins must go to an edge.

Remember pins must go to an edge.

(Also I now recall that the first pin is a half pin.)

devonwoody":1tfhx4et said:
Thank you jimi43,

Best description for me,

Pins must go to an edge.

(Also I now recall that the first pin is a half pin.)
:lol: No good!
If you look at Jim's picture below, you will see pins and tails both at and not at an edge.
522200325518_dovei2.jpg

Back