Facebook Marketplace scams?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneggysteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Wife is on Marketplace and up comes Keter 1200 litre storage box which we are looking for - £166 at B&Q and £167 at Wickes. Marketplace offer is £80 for a new box. Look at the seller's other items and everyrhing being offered at £80 - large garden furniture, gazebos etc. Similar ads from other sellers using some of the same photos (not stock Keter images) but different locations are also on marketplace.

So where is the scam here - items are not posted, no cash is sent, everything done face to face. Message sent for more info but not answered.

What am I missing?

Probably like Gumtree, Ebay etc. they could ask you to communicate with them on a different platform and insist for some sort of upfront electronic payment, in any case stuff being sold way cheaper than normal is enough of a warning sign.

There are a spate of them for electric bikes and some other odds and ends all say "I have used this for 10 days and it's great" then that they bought a batch of 10 of them and are selling them cheaply one ad is for a disability scooter for £65. They are meant to be form different towns in the UK, but even stranger is if you look at the seller's profile many live abroad which makes me think the account has been hacked.
This is an issue that Facebook just don't care about, I send details to advertising standards, one complaint I put in gained a response that they ahd already been in touch with the seller and would take it further so they do look at complaints, which is more than Facebook do.

Have seen some like these and wondered why it's £80? Maybe there's a 'sweet spot' of cheap enough to be a bargain but expensive enough to be (un)believable

Latest posts

Back