how lucky am I

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
2 reasons not to buy a lottery ticket today, I think I've exceeded my quota;

1/ I was using a saucepan to cook my tin of soup for lunch. Half way through heating i moved the handle to stir the pot. i realised the handle was loose and thought I should tighten that after eating the soup. i moved the handle again and it was very loose, so i went and got a screwdriver to tighten it up while still on the stove.

Just touched the screw with the driver and the screw head came off, along with the handle. Had to carefully get another pan and transfer the soup.

After lunch i investigated. These pans are 10 years old, but are a good make (judge). The pan is stainless as is the screws. Would you believe they had an iron spring washer under the head? The iron had rotted the stainless all the way through.
If the missus had used that pan she would be unlikely to have noticed it was loose untill she picked it up and would have been covered with hot liquid. I replaced the stainless screw and removed the other iron washers (set of 4 pans).

2/ Walking around a super home center store (like a B&Q type before they got stupid big). Found some little brass knobs for a box I am making. No price on the drawer they are in. I said to The missus that would be trouble. Got to the checkout, they did not scan. After 5 tries she phoned a friend. No luck. She tried to type the number in, it came up as place mats. She walked off to speak to customer service to ask the audience. uh uh. She found the floor manager and he tried everything she had, then studied the packets intently for several minutes, hoping for a message from god.
I eventually walked over to the guy. All the knobs on the shelves were around 2 to 3 euro each, so i decided to make an offer under petty cash rules as I really wanted these particular shapes.
I said to him, "I want 5, i will give you 10 euro for the lot". he looked up with relief on his face and said "too much" and charged me 5.
result.
But it then took two more supervisors to amend the till so the girl (and I use the term loosely) could finally ring them up.

sunnybob":2jrh6cc6 said:
1/ I was using a saucepan to cook my tin of soup for lunch. Half way through heating i moved the handle to stir the pot. i realised the handle was loose and thought I should tighten that after eating the soup. i moved the handle again and it was very loose, so i went and got a screwdriver to tighten it up while still on the stove.

Just touched the screw with the driver and the screw head came off, along with the handle. Had to carefully get another pan and transfer the soup.

After lunch i investigated. These pans are 10 years old, but are a good make (judge). The pan is stainless as is the screws. Would you believe they had an iron spring washer under the head? The iron had rotted the stainless all the way through.
If the missus had used that pan she would be unlikely to have noticed it was loose untill she picked it up and would have been covered with hot liquid. I replaced the stainless screw and removed the other iron washers (set of 4 pans).

I had a somewhat similar stupid design fault with my Green Pan frying pans like these? https://www.greenpan.co.uk/bonn-ceramic ... -twin-pack
Inside the hanging up hole is a small hole. When they are washed, water gets into the hole and into the hollow handle. When they are next used the water turns to steam and the handle becomes as hot as hell. I have dropped them many times after forgetting to use an oven glove.
The good news is that after complaining to the manufacturer, they said "they shouldn't have a hole in the handle" and sent me a pair of pans from an updated range, without the hole.
p.s. I didn't pay anything like the price on their website. I bought them in a sale. :)

Naz, I make my soup for lunch, and I make sticky rice for 'er indoors curries and chillies, because she cant measure to save her life and the rice comes out all ways but proper, and thats me done in the kitchen.

Why an earth do people cook things like soup/beans in pans? .. microwaves are far more convenient.

Are you mad? The soup comes to the boil slowly in a sauce pan. You can add spices and pepperoni salami and BBQ marinade and all manner of strange and wonderful things as it heats. Microwaves are for re heating, (or bomb making if youre a Mcgiver or Casey Ryback fan)

3 in a row! today I go to fill the water container at the local machine. Cyprus water is ok to drink, but its very high in dissolved stone and can cause kidney stones, so most ex pats buy water from machines that are (purportedly) supplied by deep mountain wells.

I go to the local machine today and theres a water bowser filling the machine. I ask if the machine is OK to use, and the guy sayes yes, and puts a euro in for me. Thats 20 litres of drinking water free.
maybe I should buy a ticket after all?

sunnybob":1wib5q40 said:
Are you mad? The soup comes to the boil slowly in a sauce pan. You can add spices and pepperoni salami and BBQ marinade and all manner of strange and wonderful things as it heats. Microwaves are for re heating, (or bomb making if youre a Mcgiver or Casey Ryback fan)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back