Face protection/Respirator advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitley

Established Member
Reaction score
Up until yesterday, I used a face shield and a rubber respirator, although it did keep dust out of my eyes and lungs, it did mist up regularly and wasn't spectacle wearer friendly. I say until yesterday because I attempted to change the filters and tore the rubber mouth piece :oops: making it useless.
I am now urgently looking for a replacement system, but not too expensive as I have to live on a small disability pension. Preferably I would like a one piece unit. Can anyone reccommend an inexpensive product please?

OK the Airace looks to be popular, but even with my old mask, my spectacles kept getting dislodged and the Airace looks to take up more room on the face. Does anyone use the airace with spectacles?
I also want protection for my eyes and spectacles.

Whitley":2cg0rdcn said:
Does anyone use the airace with spectacles?

Yes I do. It's fine with my specs, the sit quite happily on the face as usual and they don't mist up which is the problem I have always had up till now. Usually I wear another pair of safety specs over them, though I havent tried this with the airace.

Cheers Mike

I have been using a half mask and it hurts like crazy after about 1/2 an hour. I end up taking it off and leaving it off. Not a good idea. I am looking to get the Power cap from Turners Retreat as that's the cheapest one I have seen so far. It is here and is about £50 cheaper than other places I have looked.

The Trend Pro, the other option isn't available yet as far as I can see.

Pete

Just looking in Turners Retreat catalogue page 68 and it looks like it has gone up from £9.95 to £15.94 and the filter from £4.95 to £7.95 the catalogue is valid until September 2008 but they can change prices at any time, just seems a big jump!!!
Sorry :oops:
Thomasb ( John really )
:roll: :wink:

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered a Trend Airace mask and hope that I will be able to use my face shield over it and still keep my specs on.

I did look at the powered face shields, but I can't really afford one just yet, besides which I had to use a Racal Airstream helmet for mu work years ago and it was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had to wear and it put me off getting something similar.

The Airace is good and as a glases wearer myself I would recomend it as I used one for about 6 months without any fogging up. I still keep it as a spare in case the batteries on my full face mask run out.

It can be worn with a face shield without any problem, depending on design and position of shield. On one occasion I put my face shield down and couldnt breathe as I had completelly blocked the intake. :oops:

The only two problems I have found with it are that the visor you can buy for it is a waste of time as it is just a shield without a top and chippings can get in the top of it, limits visability a bit. The other problem is due to the size of it downwood visability is limited so be careful where you walk.

Oh yes I forgot you look and sound a bit like Darth Vader. :D

john

Whitley":3ywbahd4 said:
OK the Airace looks to be popular, but even with my old mask, my spectacles kept getting dislodged and the Airace looks to take up more room on the face. Does anyone use the airace with spectacles?
yes i do with sucsess. and the straps keep my glasses on :lol: :lol:

hi, I bought the JSP Power Cap about 3months ago from Rutlands and as I wear Specs i've always had a problem with fogging up. But this Respirator is brilliant.Its powered by two Lithium-ion batteries which will last for almost 2 days with one charge. You have a lovely cool breeze on your face all the time and after 10 mins. you would'nt think you had anything on your head. Would reccomend it 100%. Regards Boysie

Latest posts

Back