Face masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Halo Jones":31vqqjj9 said:
Polio, small pox, hepatitis, measles, mumps, rubella, ebola are just a few of the deadly diseases that are controlled or have been eradicated by vaccines. The vaccination strategy only works if a very large proportion of the population take the vaccine. Measles is now starting to kill children again because of the rise in the Anti-vax movement.

You can insult me if you like but vaccination should be mandatory.

I am not anti-vax, I am anti mandatory vaccination. All of the gains you talk about were achieved without mandatory vaccination, also all of those diseases were actually a major threat, unlike C19 which is not. If we didn't do it for Polio or small pox, we certainly don't need to do it for C19.

Mandatory medial intervention is the first step of eugenics.

Rorschach":19coi1b9 said:
I am far from perfect I know that. I equate it to the same as my politics though, I think it stinks and think lots of things should change, but I don't stand for parliament :lol:

But your moral outrage on here does not equate to how you act in real life. Internet in't it great.

doctor Bob":thqxfujo said:
Rorschach":thqxfujo said:
I am far from perfect I know that. I equate it to the same as my politics though, I think it stinks and think lots of things should change, but I don't stand for parliament :lol:

But your moral outrage on here does not equate to how you act in real life. Internet in't it great.

It is indeed, a very necessary outlet at times.
I don't think I put myself forward as a moral compass, at least not intentionally. I have said it before I see myself as a provocateur to generate debate, put forward an alternative viewpoint and make people question their own beliefs.

Rorschach":1ld6vjqs said:
It is indeed, a very necessary outlet at times.
I don't think I put myself forward as a moral compass, at least not intentionally. I have said it before I see myself as a provocateur to generate debate, put forward an alternative viewpoint and make people question their own beliefs.

you seem to be missing the point ....... it's you who demonstates that you question your own beliefs by not following them.
you have a genuine opportunity to convince people in real life, however you chose not to and conform. But give it the biggun on the net, it's pointless, why should we listen to you.

I wear a mask, I genuinely believe anyone who can't see that it helps prevent spread is a simpleton. I wouldn't confront a non wearer but I'd try my best to give then 2m distance.

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon by the way, I agree with a lot of your previous points, I think you have lost the plot a bit here though.

Seen in Manchester airport this morning: man lifts mask to sneeze. Twice.

I am a reluctant mandatory mask wearer. It would seem that most people aro6nd here are also going through the motions more than seriously protecting themselves and others. €150 fine is some incentive, although I was in a taxi the other day and no one wore a mask: €750 potential income for the state should we have been caught.

About mandatory vaccines: they normally take 10 years to get to market, so who would want to be a guinea pig? More fun; who wants to be forced to be a guinea pig? Rumours of indemnity for companies so there will be no financial repercussions should all those vaccinated grow a second head or similar. What could possibly go wrong?

doctor Bob":2ghwe2xi said:
it's you who demonstates that you question your own beliefs by not following them.
I don't questions my beliefs, I go along for an easy life at the moment. There are lots of things I don't believe in but follow as I am sure there are for you. I don't believe in most of the taxes I have to pay, but I pay them. I don't believe in the speed limit being set as it is, but I don't speed. You must do something similar.

doctor Bob":2ghwe2xi said:
why should we listen to you.
I never asked you to, I am merely putting forward my views, you are free to follow, or not, argue or not, ignore me or engage with me, it's your choice.

I don’t understand why anyone has a strong aversion to the wearing of masks.

The efficacy may be far from perfect but it’s better for both the wearer and others if they are worn than not (in my opinion). Even if it’s marginal I think there are more important things to get wound up over.

If it comes down to not liking being told what to do by officials there are those that equally want clear direction and rules as it makes them feel safe. Boris & Co are damned if they do and damned if they don’t make rules.

I don’t make the link to it being the thin end of a wedge. I may be wrong but I think there is a line before getting to compulsory vaccination no serious politician in the UK will cross.

Blackswanwood":132ac0rw said:
I don’t make the link to it being the thin end of a wedge. I may be wrong but I think there is a line before getting to compulsory vaccination no serious politician in the UK will cross.

I hope you are right, sadly some members here would hope you are wrong.

Rorschach":2w28ekrh said:
I don't questions my beliefs, I go along for an easy life at the moment. There are lots of things I don't believe in but follow as I am sure there are for you. I don't believe in most of the taxes I have to pay, but I pay them. I don't believe in the speed limit being set as it is, but I don't speed. You must do something similar.

doctor Bob":2w28ekrh said:
why should we listen to you.
I never asked you to, I am merely putting forward my views, you are free to follow, or not, argue or not, ignore me or engage with me, it's your choice.

Firstly I'm happy to tell people in real life I don't believe in the speed limits and often demonstate it, when I feel it's appropriate often 80 on a motorway. I also tell real life people I begrudge some taxes and actively employ an accountant to avoid them (not evade). I don't just do it vocally on the net.
Secondly, that's a cheeky little sentence edit ........... :lol: :lol:

Blackswanwood":35lw0s8p said:
.........I don’t make the link to it being the thin end of a wedge. I may be wrong but I think there is a line before getting to compulsory vaccination no serious politician in the UK will cross.

For a start, the sane 80% of the population will stampede towards their health-care centres the second there is a vaccine on offer, so we're only talking about the remnant nutters. Rather than making it compulsory, they'll just be coercive, I reckon. Like, you can't get access to government offices, public buildings, sports stadia, or schools unless you're vaccinated. That sort of thing. Some people have no idea at all what is in their own best interests, so it will just have to be made a little easier for them to understand.

Call me completely daft but I probably won't be rushing to be first in line to have a vaccination, I know they most likely won't put anything out for definite without knowing that it does indeed work but I'd rather avoid a second head growing as TN says so I'll let everyone else test it first.

Trevanion":3bmdzd6e said:
Call me completely daft but I probably won't be rushing to be first in line to have a vaccination, I know they most likely won't put anything out for definite without knowing that it does indeed work but I'd rather avoid a second head growing as TN says so I'll let everyone else test it first.

Absolutely, probably grow a forth bollloox or something, not me I'll stick with 3 thank you.

MikeG.":1f9uq8l3 said:
Blackswanwood":1f9uq8l3 said:
.........I don’t make the link to it being the thin end of a wedge. I may be wrong but I think there is a line before getting to compulsory vaccination no serious politician in the UK will cross.

For a start, the sane 80% of the population will stampede towards their health-care centres the second there is a vaccine on offer, so we're only talking about the remnant nutters. Rather than making it compulsory, they'll just be coercive, I reckon. Like, you can't get access to government offices, public buildings, sports stadia, or schools unless you're vaccinated. That sort of thing. Some people have no idea at all what is in their own best interests, so it will just have to be made a little easier for them to understand.

Thanks, you beat me to it. Many vaccines require a 85-90% uptake before they are effective and it is always the last 10-15% that are difficult to get, hence why making a vaccine mandatory would be a good way to go, even if politically unpalatable. Mind you, wearing seatbelts was made mandatory and not smoking in enclosed public spaces was made mandatory. Both grumbled about when implemented, but now proven to be highly effective policies.

I would happily jump to the front of the queue if an effective vaccine is developed. Most vaccines are based around proven safe technology so you aren't going to grow a second head. The base technology for flue vaccines went through years of safety testing but now they produce several new vaccines every year trying to predict how the flu virus will mutate. They might not be very effective some years but they are not going to produce any adverse effects.

Trevanion":wsh0w5ko said:
Can we have ONE decent thread on CV that doesn't devolve into petty and inconsequential bickering ffs...

It seems not when rorsh*ite is involved.

"small steps lead to tyranny....." you couldn't make it up. A super troll or genuinely a mental case - only he knows.

MikeG.":1s8p7kpr said:
Rather than making it compulsory, they'll just be coercive, I reckon. Like, you can't get access to government offices, public buildings, sports stadia, or schools unless you're vaccinated. That sort of thing. Some people have no idea at all what is in their own best interests, so it will just have to be made a little easier for them to understand.

Have we all read 1984?

How about we have a digital only currency, and anyone who doesn't voluntarily get their vaccine (or comply with a myriad other "voluntary social requests") loses their access to money? That should provide sufficient encouragement to enforce groupthink. Or just shoot anyone who doesn't comply? That used to be the favourite of the tyrannical.

If the vaccine works, then those who are vaccinated have no need to fear. Those who are not vaccinated can take their chances, but it is their own fault, and has minimal impact on the rest of the Karens. Why the overwhelming need to force people to do things to their bodies that they don't want to do?

Frankly, I don't want to live in a society where someone else has the power to make decisions about my body. It smacks of slavery. Even more fun: what if you central planning types enforce this, and something goes wrong? Then what? You say "Oops"?

One of the reasons the US has such a problem with vaccines is that this as done in the 1970s, and it didn't go as well as expected: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180961994/

Trainee neophyte":7uoin03a said:
.....How about we have a digital only currency, and anyone who doesn't voluntarily get their vaccine (or comply with a myriad other "voluntary social requests") loses their access to money? That should provide sufficient encouragement to enforce groupthink. Or just shoot anyone who doesn't comply? That used to be the favourite of the tyrannical.

Sometimes hyperbole doesn't help make your case. It makes your case look ridiculous instead.

If the vaccine works, then those who are vaccinated have no need to fear.

That fails to understand vaccines and how they work in a population. Say it has an efficacy of 75%........we would be back to relying on herd immunity in which we all protect each other by being vaccinated.

Why the overwhelming need to force people to do things to their bodies that they don't want to do?

The greater good. Herd immunity. Oh, and I didn't suggest forcing anyone. I suggested making access to certain places and services conditional on having a vaccination. Up to you then to balance out how important those places and services are to you against how important your views on vaccination are to you.

Frankly, I don't want to live in a society where someone else has the power to make decisions about my body.

Bad luck, you already do.

It smacks of slavery.....

No, that's hyperbole again. Under the scenario I suggested, you would be free to not have a vaccination if you chose not to. However, with rights go responsibilities, and so if you want the benefits of living in society you have to accept society's rules.

Don't forget, I wasn't advocating this course of action, I was predicting it.

Well some interesting views coming out of the woodwork. Not that is surprises me given the attitude on the base topic.

So for the greater good then, how about we stop those with genetic conditions breeding? That's fine isn't it? It's for the greater good, they don't have the right to pass on a sickness to someone else.
Keep greasing that incline ;)

Rorschach":1wdc7196 said:
all of those diseases were actually a major threat, unlike C19 which is not.

It was a major enough threat to both my mother and aunt, who it killed. Not lost a relative yet ? Think yourself lucky.

Agree with Mike about vaccination. Compulsory would produce a counterproductive backlash. More likely, you will find you won't be let into other countries without proof of vaccination, won't be able to attend university, school, etc. Not compulsory, like having a passport or a driving license is not compulsory.

Back