F&C

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Awake and resist!
Reaction score
I don't read the comics very often but F&C came my way as Brian was about to bin it. So I had to have a good look - maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing all sorts of useful stuff.
An article on push sticks p 71 caught my eye (literally - it's the distinctive shape as you flip the pages). I'm all for them.
Then I flipped to page 59 where there ia a picture of someone machining dangerously - NOT USING A PUSH STICK!! The job he's doing is a perfect example of where you should use a push stick - spindle moulder, short board, hands always quite close to the cutter esp his right hand, which is very vulnerable especially as the workpiece finally passes the cutter. Jobs like this are actually easier and faster with a push stick (two preferably), not only A LOT safer.
F&C? Nul pointes. :roll: Straight in the bin next time!

PS I like the little piles of shavings in the otherwise pointless article about a plane blade which nobody needs. That's what woodwork is all about - tidy little piles of shavings. I must put labels on mine, what a good idea :roll:

F&C have been publishing photo's of these unsafe working practises for a long time, I thought the new editor coming from a pro background would have changed this, seems not ...............

The truth is he's probably not even making a cut and it's been set up however, he should have a push stick in hand at least. Personally I prefer a power feed and a sacrificial fence.

The picture on page62 makes me cringe even more, running a moulding on end grain. He's got a guard but I'd want a carriage with handles.

Latest posts

Back