Extreme pyrography LOL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
This was a piece of old oak I have had hanging about for ages and I decided to use it as it was complete with saw marks etc. The outside edge hasn't been touched apart form the burning. It's 6" across the actual bowl and 3" deep. The outside has been blow torched, polished and buffed. Pretty sure there will be a love / hate thing on this one. Personally I like it but then I always did like the oddball turnings LOL. No good for the competition as i am sure blow torching would be classed as decoration (by some LOL)

Pete

I've heard of folks taking bits of wood out of the firewood stack but sneaking it out of the grate just to keep the shed warmer is going a bit far surely :roll:

I like that :)

Presumably you torched it before finishing off the bowl part?
How do you finish the torched area?
I guess you held it on a faceplate and there are holes in the base?

Pete

PS Any recommendations on blow-torches?

I'm not quite that desperate for wood Chas LOL.

I held it on with a glue chuck Pete. I torched it first, then added the glue chuck and turned the bowl. The burnt area is brushed off then sealed and buffed. I am one of those who doesn't like holes in the bottom etc :lol: The bottom is plain rough cut flat as it was when I started.

Pete

That looks good Pete.
Looks a good effect with the natural Oak,but i like the natural rough edge area you show in piccy three and think i would have tried to copy that effect for the rest of the edge,and perhaps left the top all Oaky :D
Looks good fun though :D

Hi Pete
Looks very effective and would get a good price in a gallery because it's so unusual. Must have a go at one like this.
Regards Keith

really like this Pete, different, out to to the workshop to get the blowlamp out

Regards Barry

cookie777":1utz5z5h said:
really like this Pete, different, out to to the workshop to get the blowlamp out

Regards Barry

Thank you but can I recommend that you use it outside the workshop. :lol: I scorched mine well away from the dust and shavings. Don't forget that wood dust is in the air for ages after you stop generating it and it can be explosive.

Pete

I don't like this one Pete :( , I think its just a bit too random. I generally like burned pieces but I think they need a bit of styling, for me the sawn edge sticks out like a sore thumb,it really appears to be an offcut burned up a bit with a depression turned into it. Maybe if you took it further and burned away the edges into a 'smooth' ember look with a highly polished bowl in the middle?? Still always good to try things out :)

JT

Let me guess, this isn't really your cup of tea Johnny :lol: Not a problem. I knew there would be those who didn't. I personally like the contrasts both in texture and colour but then as I said my taste was always a bit weird.

Pete

Back