Extractor connection to table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbyshop

Established Member
Reaction score
I am finally getting to the stage of setting up some machinery in my new workshop space. I spent the last couple of days setting up the table saw, but now I want to connect up the extraction and have a question.

I have a Startrite extractor with a 4" hose. The saw has a 4" connector on the cabinet but also has an extraction port on the guard.

Are there adaptors available that will allow me to connect the guard outlet (appears to be 50 mm OD and 45 mm ID) and the cabinet outlet together so I can then just connect up the single 4: hose from the extractor when using the saw?

Seems a simple requirement but I haven't been able to find an obvious solution on-line. Any help appreciated. 8)

Hobbyshop,
You will though need to balance the flows between the 2 inlets to get the best out of the crown guard, the machine housing will "take" most of the airflow.
You can use a blast gate at the cabinet spigot to achieve this.

Thanks Dan
Still not seeing an obvious and simple connector to do what I want, but I could certainly cobble together a system from that lot.

Thanks Paul.
I am probably going to have to do some work on the cabinet extraction as well. The extraction is pretty poor from under the table, even without any connection to the guard,

my mistake, perhaps not needed when reducing down to 50mm as the flow has been altered already.

This is the one you need http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-st ... prod23228/

As the reduction in diameter you will suffer a large loss, how ever my crown guard is set up very simluar and does the job as long the guard is flat on to of the work piece or not just taking an edge off. With a T type you will get even more loss as the direction is to harsh (for lack of a better word) the Y junction is a far more efficient way to split it. The use of a blast gate just after the junction between junction and saw will help increase the flow from the guard as mentioned above.

They are quite expensive so maybe you could use a plastic Y junction with a reduce again as mentioned above.

mark270981":6xtdkx8j said:
so was my way of thinking right??

I ain't no expert but I don't think you would need a blast gate on the 50mm side as you will never want to reduce the flow from the guard further. Unless you was thinking about times when the guard isn't used (maybe removed due to removal of riving knifes when you don't want a through cut, of cause if the TS in question is set up with a guard on knife).

i thought that would be the case, i have 2 x 100mm outlets on my spindle and i have to reduce the flow on to one outlet to make it extract right.

Back