Extraction from hand power tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modernist

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone solved the problem of attaching a range of hand power tools to either a worksop vacuum or d/e system. I seem to remember there was a universal connector system somewhere but I cannot remember where?

The problem is a "dust extractor" doesn't develop a high enough pressure to extract from hand tools. You need a vacuum cleaner to do that.

Doesn't exactly solve your problem but a few years ago I bought a cheap B&Q extractor. Tiny thing, grey with a red handle on the top. Had a power take off. With it you got three rubberised inserts/reducers. The extractor has long been bust but but I still use the reducers. They fit a standard extraction hose as sold by axminster and between them, fit every make of tool I have.

Modernist":1jytus8s said:
Has anyone solved the problem of attaching a range of hand power tools to either a worksop vacuum or d/e system. I seem to remember there was a universal connector system somewhere but I cannot remember where?

Is this what you are looking for :wink:

Andy

the biggest problem is that no power tool has a properly designed extraction flow system.

the designers first make the tool work, then they some kind of hood or similar. scms are the worst tool for extraction capability, but seriously how do you build it in for a hand drill.

most routers are absolute rubbish, and few sanders have any real hope
although festo and bosch seem quite good from experience.

personally i think the best idea is if you can figure it out, to create some kind of capture zone around the tool, and then extract from that.
i certainly think that is the best idea for an scms.

the other problem is rather like in the old days, when power cables were short, the attaching points on most tools have little purchase, and no matter how you put the extractor hose on, they become loose in no time, and more to the point are really unwieldy and get in the way. :cry:

paul :wink:

Mmm..not sure I agree 100% with you on this one, Paul.

I tape my vacuum hose to the Festool TS55 and it sucks up about 90% of the dust which isn't bad IMO. I use the same arrangement with the Metabo ROS with the same results. I certainly notice the difference when I don't use the vacuum.

Do have to agree though that taping up with duck tape is a pain.

i would like to think that what i was saying roger is that it is a pita and in many cases, the angle at which the hose comes off the tool makes it very difficult to manipulate easily and effectively for the amount of time the latest duck tape seems happy to stay on. :?

i accept it makes a difference to have extraction rather than not, and the festo is definately one of the better designs. having never tried the metabo i cannot comment, but i do know that the bosch is good too,but the connection for extraction is a bit bulky and does not stay on as easily as i would think it is possible to arrange, and why should we need to use duck tape if it is designed into the system??? :roll:

I find that the only hand power tool that is any good for dust extraction is my portable circular saw, it works really well when connected to the shop vac. I have a couple of sanders that have little bags on them but they don't seem to work, it takes months before there's any sawdust in the bag.

The portable planer seems to work well with a bag, but drills and routers - forget it, I don't even try, just make sure my Airshield respirator is fully charged.

regards

Brian

Thanks guys - much the responsse I was expecting.

Wouldn't liofe be much simpler if ther ewas a staqndard outlet say 25mm dia round to which we could attach a hose with a simple tapered plug!

anyone would think that microsoft ran the tool business :lol: :twisted:

you are right it would be nice if there was at least a standard next
coupling for extraction. say they all went down to a 25mm size round hole, then you can standardise things.

we must be dreaming :roll:

Back