External door panel and glazed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kidneycutter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve been asked to make a pair of external doors for an office/outbuilding.
im not sure what thickness glass or panel material to use. Also my stock is 45mm thick.
thanks

Depending on where you are fitting the glass element(s) ……if below (as I recall 600mm) from the floor the glass will need to comply with ISO12600 - ie be toughened or laminated for safety reasons, but as it’s an external door laminated would offer greater security and you may have to fit double glazed units to meet any building regs regarding heat loss too.

Depending on where you are fitting the glass element(s) ……if below (as I recall 600mm) from the floor the glass will need to comply with ISO12600 - ie be toughened or laminated for safety reasons, but as it’s an external door laminated would offer greater security and you may have to fit double glazed units to meet any building regs regarding heat loss too.
Thanks for the reply,
what would you use for the panel..marine ply? I’m a bit worried about rebate depths due to different thickness of the glass and panel. I was also thinking of Mouldings on the inside and beads on the outside to hold glass and panel?

@Kidneycutter you don't make it clear if you are looking to make 2 separate doors or a "french door", or what material you are using and are they to be painted, is the 45mm stock finished size or sawn, and are you making a frame/s as well.

In any case your starting point is your stock size, most external doors are 44mm thick, (I generally make all mine 58mm.)

You could get a 20mm DG unit in a 44mm but it does make your upstand and beads thin, 16mm units would be a better size, if you fit it with security or butyl tape you need to allow a couple of extra mm for its own self thickness, or you could use a full silicone bed (make sure its suitable for glazing) I wouldn't bead internally unless you can allow for draining the rebates, or its a sheltered position, and if you do you, will need to cap and seal the external upstand to mitigate water getting in.

I would suggest you don't cheap out on materials for the sake of it, look at Tricoya for a panel material.

Beads on the outside would be a security issue as they could be easily prized out and allow the glass to be removed
I wouldn't say it's ever easy to get a glass unit out of a wooden door or window, unless you've got a couple of hours to do it.

Back