exterior oak door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly

Reaction score
I recently bought an exterior door, we had ordered hardwood, but received an oak door instead. I coated it with 4 layers of exterior varnish, but a little over a month ago added a further coat of exterior gloss paint for extra protection and aesthetic reasons to the outside panel. The door is exposed and is east facing. The door was hung in summer. After the first bought of inclement weather, and within a week of adding the gloss paint to the exterior a 5 inch vertical split has occurred at the bottom of the door. Would this be more likely to bad manufacture or an error in sealing? Is an oak door the best where it is exposed in this way and should it have split within such a short timeframe?

Patrick

You don't say what style the door is, a pic would be good.
Assuming that it is a standard type door with 4"x 2" stiles and head and one or two panels in the middle.
I would think all three factors have contributed.
As the central heating went on, or possibly up, with the arrival of the inclement weather and painting/sealing the outside,
and an oak panel that has contracted and was not able to move freely. HTH
Regards Rodders

Most oak doors that are bought of the shelf aren't solid and the manufacturer usually states it should be
under a canopy to protect it, I think this has been the problem.

Paul

Latest posts

Back