EXSQUARIMENT

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horst Hohoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've done a little experiment in turning technique and shape. It hasn't quite turned out the way I wished, the edges are a bit to thin, and a little bit has broken off while sanding. But I would like to have your opinion about the thing; maybe I have another go one of these days.

Beech/Walnut 27,5 x 8,5 cm

Img_1013A.jpg

Img_1014A.jpg

Img_1021A.jpg

Img_1023A.jpg

Img_1015A.jpg
Img_1011A.jpg

Interesting shape Horst, when does it take off on the Mars trip. :lol:

On a serious note, did you have many problems turning/sanding from the differing wood densities?

Horst,

For my taste, it is rather too "busy" and restricting it to two varieties of wood would be better I feel. Also, I think the transition from the concave curve at about the the lower edge of the walnut into the beech is too abrupt, it leaves the convex shape of the lowest beech segment looking a bit too "bulgy". If you could increase the radius of the concave section above, I think it would look more elegant.

Horst,

Very interesting! I love the idea and the basic shape, especially in the plan view. I also like the thin edges.

However, I too think it rather busy and if it was mine I would change the double transitional curved side profiles (as viewed in the third piccy down) to either a single transitional curve i.e. traditional bowl shape and just flare the corners where the "square" shape starts or to an Eiffel tower style shape i.e. a single concave curve to the sides when viewed in profile.

Mike

Sorry to disagree, but I think it is lovely. I like the mixture of differents colours from the different woods. Not too busy for me.

Bob

Horst,
a beautiful piece of sculpture. I'm not a turner so I can only imagine how difficult it must be to turn something like that with square corners. I always enjoy seeing your work. You are a real artist.

George

Another interesting piece, thanks for sharing. I have no problem with the woods used but I too wonder about the "step" in the side.

Andy

Back