Exploring texturing: Critiques welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobham

Established Member
Reaction score
I turned these two bowls today. The blanks were dry walnut disks I had purchased and were both the same size, about 7 1/2" (19 cm.) in diameter and 2 1/2" (6.3 cm.) thick. One had some nice figuring and would have been very nice even as a plain bowl form. I turned this one first:

walnut1comp1-800.jpg

walnut1comp2-800.jpg

I turned it on a tenon and used the coarse texturing cutter on my Sorby texturing tool to decorate the raised ring. I was quite happy with the way it turned out.

After supper I went back out and turned this one:

walnut2comp1-800.jpg

walnut2comp2-800.jpg

I turned it on a recess and used a finer cutter on the texturing tool. In some ways I like the form of this one better than the first one but I wish I had used the coarser cutter for the texturing.

With both bowls I was aiming to have the curve of the bowl wall "flow" under the textured ring so that it almost appears as thought the ring were a separate piece applied after the bowl was turned. I think I achieved that relatively well. On the first bowl, however, the ring itself does not follow the curve of the bowl wall, so appears thicker at the bottom than the top. On the second one the "step" above and below the ring are about the same because the surface of the ring follows the bowl wall.

A very small detail and one I would never have picked up on if I hadn't had both bowls side by side to compare. That is why I find is so difficult to "critique" anything. I like it or I don't, but rarely can I decide exactly why. Actually, I like both of these bowls well enough that I will have to let my wife decide which one goes in the charity auction. :D

Take care
Bob

Both look really good Bob but I think personally I prefer the 2nd one precisely because as you say, the ring doesn't folow the curve. It seems to sit on the bowl which is what you were trying to achieve.

Texturing is really effective. Something else to have a go at sometime

Pete

Mornin' Bob, I do like walnut if I can get it, :( it's can be a fantastic figured wood.

My preference is for the second bowl, on shape. I think one of the hardest things to do in turning is to get a smooth looking curve on anything. Often what looks good close up, lets you see the slight faults from a distance.

I think you have done well with the two bowls, and can only agree with your assessment of the shapes. Yet I don't think it matters that much, I defy anyone to spot the mistake :wink: if the top one was placed on its own in a normal position around the house.

My personal preference is to see the bottom cleared of any chucking point, and just as a suggestion. On the lower bowl instead of leaving the recess, what I occasionally do is to use a small curved carving chisel to scallop the edge of the recess. IMO it just makes the finished article look a bit more professional. :roll:

Nice work, it wouldn't go amiss in anyones house. 'er indoors may even choose them both for herself. :lol:

Bob

Nice work. For some reason they remind me of the Mary Rose bowls done by Robin Wood. I think they work. The one for the continuation of the flow of the curve through the textured ring. And the other ... I can't quite put my finger on it ... maybe it's the slight curve outwards just below the rim :?:

I'd have to agree with Tam's remarks regarding the recess in the second bowl.

Bob.
Very nice.
I like them both,in fact i prefer the first one with the more prominent banding :D
Love the timber,colour,grain,just wish i'd have bought some Walnut from Yandles last week :roll:
I also saw a lot of this texturing on pieces at Woodex,and i liked it then.
Made some dull pieces more interesting for me.
I think if had a go i would try the banding round the top of the rim.
But that's me.
Paul.J.

Two great bowls whatever personal preferences Bob, peculiarly the first one just shouts older design to me for some reason :?: go figure.
If asked which one, as a take home, it would be the second, just because it seems to have a cleaner line. I can see what you mean about the coarser texturing, but the difference is so subtle I would have to see both effects to choose a preference, might be easier to decide looking at the two bowls in the flesh.

The comments about the base chucking rings I agree with, my preference these days is to remove all trace of holding method and leave a gentle depression, sometimes within a defined outer ring foot. (I use Cole Jaws) but it is something that 9+ out of 10 viewers of the piece will have no knowledge of or care.

Bob,

Both are very nice indeed. My preference is for the second one - the shape just seems to flow a little better somehow, but the difference is pretty subtle.

I have just recently bought the Sorby spiralling and texturing system, but haven't had chance to try it out yet.

Regards

Gary

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I agree with pretty much everything that was noted. The second bowl definitely has a more "refined" line to the bowl wall and I think that would be true with or without the textured band.

In general, when I turn on a recess I do not reverse the bowl and remove the recess afterwards. I may decorate the recess as I have done on this one, but personally I don't find a properly sized recess in the underside to be objectionable. I daresay that only another turner would even realize what the recess was for. :) In the event I should ever want to return the piece to the lathe, even just to buff out another coat of wax, having the recess there saves a world of problems.

Thanks again
Bob

bobham":1uqnabvo said:
In general, when I turn on a recess I do not reverse the bowl and remove the recess afterwards. I may decorate the recess as I have done on this one, but personally I don't find a properly sized recess in the underside to be objectionable. I daresay that only another turner would even realize what the recess was for. :) In the event I should ever want to return the piece to the lathe, even just to buff out another coat of wax, having the recess there saves a world of problems.
Bob

My thoughts exactly!!! That and the fact that swapping the Cole jaws on and off my chuck drives me to distraction!! However, now I have a second chuck, I can leave them on that one permanently, so I can't use that as an excuse any more!

Gary

Bob, you did a very good work on both.
But as you say, if the wood is nice by itself why ruining it with texturing?.
In your case I might have then been a step further by burning the texture and cleaning it up with a metal brush. You'd had a sharper contrast. But that's a question of taste only.

CHJ":3f4mp8dw said:
Two great bowls whatever personal preferences Bob, peculiarly the first one just shouts older design to me for some reason
I wonder if that's why I prefer the first one :)
Maybe as well as location, we could all put an indication of our age in our postings, so the young turks can ignore the critique comments of old fogies???

Show appearances and the odd thread slip-up usually keep the imageswithin the decade.
Ahhem, can't see a dickm in the listing though for some reason. :roll: :shock: :lol:

I like both bowls but if I had to pick one I would pick the first one
I just love the way the texturing on the first bowl gives the impression that you have left a ring of bark round the bowl. well done.

Phil

Both nice pieces,Bob :D - I prefer the texturing on the first,but the shape of the second.

Andrew

Back