experimental plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting :!:

At 35° there won't be a lot of clearance between the bevel and the wood - so it'll be interesting to see how that works out. But even if you have to settle for 40° you'll still be better of than with a low-angle bevel-up block plane. A 40 EP is hard to achieve any other way. Take your standard LA block plane with a 12° bed. Add a 25° primary bevel and a 5° micro bevel (i.e 30 ) - 12° + 25° + 5° = 42° EP. So you'll still be 2° better off with your bevel down arrangement (or 7° better off if the 35° bed works okay).

But you need to make that cap-iron a two-piece :mrgreen:

Cheers, Vann.

Its bedded at 35° now and working fine. The iron is ground at a rather low angle, which will likely mean that edge retention won't be one of this plane's strong points. I'm after an easy cutting small smoother that leaves a fine surface on straight grained woods, and given that low included angle on the iron probably best for soft woods.

Interesting - that should end up about the same size as a No. 1, but with a slightly different blade geometry.

Not wishing to be in any way impertinent, but have you any plans for making it single-hand-friendly? Perhaps by reinstating the front knob as a finger rest, and shaping the wedge top to be comfortable to the palm?

It will be interesting to see how it compares in use with a normal block plane with a blade sharpened to give the same effective pitch.

Edit to add - having just read 'part 1', I see you were ahead of me with the No. 1 link! - though I believe they suffer from a similar 'how do you hold it?' conundrum. The modified block plane might actually be better in this respect.

I was waiting for you to post yours Jimi :)

That was a while back now. Time flies. I always thought that you did a better job of your plane than mine, below ...

I made a couple, but this one came from a Stanley #3 ....

Galootsmoothersmall2_zpsa574b03f.jpg

Galootsmoothersmall1_zps1cf7d8a6.jpg

Bevel up design with 25 degree bed. Used with a 35 degree bevel (making it easy to hone free hand), the cutting angle is 60 degrees. This has remained one of the best smoothers I have ever used, is very reliable, and ever-so delightful to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Cheshirechappie":30qe8imq said:
Interesting - that should end up about the same size as a No. 1, but with a slightly different blade geometry.

Not wishing to be in any way impertinent, but have you any plans for making it single-hand-friendly? Perhaps by reinstating the front knob as a finger rest, and shaping the wedge top to be comfortable to the palm?

It will be interesting to see how it compares in use with a normal block plane with a blade sharpened to give the same effective pitch.

Edit to add - having just read 'part 1', I see you were ahead of me with the No. 1 link! - though I believe they suffer from a similar 'how do you hold it?' conundrum. The modified block plane might actually be better in this respect.

It is almost exactly the same dimensions as my #2. I'll have to find a smaller block plane to make a #1 size.

I'll fit the infills oversize and shape them to fit. I'm thinking to fit a front infill as well.

bugbear":26hrq8r9 said:
bridger":26hrq8r9 said:
I'm modifying a broken block plane to be a low angle bevel down with chipbreaker one handed mini smoother. The build notes and pictures are at https://bridgerberdel.wordpress.com

I like the pictured walnut totes further down the page - any accompanying text?

BugBear

I suppose I should post some. I still need to figure out tagging in WordPress. Really, I just had some scraps of figured walnut and needed some totes. I did make them a little fatter than stock stanley and with longer horns.

jimi43":3nuscddl said:
WOW..that brings back memories...and I think that Derek also has experimented with this type of infill...

CLICK

Looking forward to more.

Jimi

Nice. I hadn't seen that. Is there a thread about it in the archive?

I was waiting for you to post yours Jimi :)

That was a while back now. Time flies. I always thought that you did a better job of your plane than mine, below ...

I made a couple, but this one came from a Stanley #3 ....

Galootsmoothersmall2_zpsa574b03f.jpg

Galootsmoothersmall1_zps1cf7d8a6.jpg

Bevel up design with 25 degree bed. Used with a 35 degree bevel (making it easy to hone free hand), the cutting angle is 60 degrees. This has remained one of the best smoothers I have ever used, is very reliable, and ever-so delightful to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I remember that. Your bailey infill was one of the things that got me thinking down this path....m

Back