Experience with anti fatigue mats?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJB Temple

Finely figured
Reaction score
I would welcome feedback from anyone who uses or has used anti fatigue mats in a workshop or factory environment. I have fairly severe heel pain currently from plantar fasciitis and also have some achilles injuries that are taking ages to heal. I have been wondering if anti fatigue mats would help to ease discomfort in my workshop, which has a suspended plywood floor.

Adrian

I work in a factory and can tell when I've been on a machine where there is no mat I'm on all day. Deff helps aches and pains and fatigue for me.

I fitted them in my workshop long ago. Never regretted it.

They also provide a little margin of error, should you drop something...

BugBear

Most of the areas where I stand to work are covered in the Axminster ones in my workshop - it's a concrete floor and as Bigstinka says you can tell when you've been working somewhere without them. Well worth having in my view.

They do make a big difference over standing on a concrete floor, I wouldn't be without mine which are of 3 different brands but all seem to be the same, the Rolson ones were the cheapest but I can see no discernible difference between the 3 makes.

Bought mine many yeas ago off a market stall, common cheapy brand often seen in discount stores, sometimes coloured to suit children's play areas, they have stood up to wear remarkably well, the difference on the feet and legs comfort is considerable.

Metal lathe debris has a habit of embedding in them but not a major problem for my low level use.

AJB Temple":1uyg2dqc said:
I have fairly severe heel pain currently from plantar fasciitis
BTHT and yes it hurts a lot, you have my sympathies. However I doubt that anti fatigue matting will help that particularly. It seems PF is usually caused by insufficient arch support in your shoes. Get good shoes with good arch support and the problem goes fairly soon.
The matting may make life easier regardless, but get your shoes sorted as a first priority.

FWIW I find Ecco and Clarks get this right better than most and I spend most of my days working on solid hard surfaces that can't be soften with any sort of matting or surface treatment.

They can make cleaning up a PITA. As you've already got a plywood floor I'd say just get some decent shoes. Concrete floors are a different matter but mats still make clean up a pain.

My wood working tutor told me that a solid concrete floor is bad for your back and general health when standing up all day. My workshop has a suspended platform with carpet around the bench, far nicer than the cold concrete floor I suffered throughout my apprenticeship!

woodpig":1ysmqtly said:
They can make cleaning up a PITA. As you've already got a plywood floor I'd say just get some decent shoes. Concrete floors are a different matter but mats still make clean up a pain.
Depends upon type, 'waffle' type with none slip debris retaining holes can be a pain but the cheaper flat faced continuous cover type are no different to the flat concrete to sweep or vac. up.

Thanks guys The Plantar Fasciitis is linked to (is a side effect of really) a long-standing achilles tendon injury. Hospital treatment involves shockwave therapy, ultrasound guided tendon sheath injections, calf stretcher boards and endless physio. Thanks for the recommendations re shoes and inserts. I have found Ecco boots to be excellent. I do have the inserts recommended above as well as medically prescribed shoe inserts. I am aware that the mats will not solve the problem, but I find that every little helps and reduction of fatigue helps reduce accidents: to which I am prone!

Some years ago, when I played golf, I bought a large used driving range mat, one they had replaced on the driving range bays. The range had a huge pile of these out back, some were in a poor state but others with only small worn areas. If I remember, I paid £25 for it about 10 years ago and I now use that mat, cut in two, which runs along my workbench and is extreemly comfortable. It wears well, is very comfortable and cleans up well, so you may wish to phone around and se what you can find?

Alex

Recently I've experienced sore ankles

Tried shoe inserts which didn't help

These Mats at double thickness on concrete garage floor work a treat for me

Definitely a good buy, even just around the bench area.
Really makes a difference in the winter, your feet stay much warmer than on a concrete floor.
Mine are pink with letters of the alphabet and Donald Duck !
Davin

Latest posts

Back