Anti fatigue matting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
Having now reached a mature fine age, like most wine, I am getting pains in my feet after standing for a long time at the workbench, my question is do these anti-fatigue mats help, anyone use them?

Mike

We have them in work for solid concrete floors, they work a treat.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I got some at the weekend.I have not had time to use them in the shed but my feet were killing me on Sunday and I had to iron all my work clothes. I put one down and got through the ironing fine so I am sure they will be perfect in the shed. I got a pack of the Axminster ones that lock together.

I've only got the cheap interlocking ones intended for children's play areas often found in discount shops, been down several years and they make a very big difference both to feet and legs and the odd dropped tool.
They do tend hang on to embedded metal swarf more so than the industrial pierced waffle structure type, but not a major problem.

LarryS":lw9zvutj said:
We have them in work for solid concrete floors, they work a treat.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Sent from my laptop using my fingers.

Thanks for asking Mike, I was going to ask the same question at some point and now I don't need to.

Very happy to read it does make a big difference as it appears my feet/ankles really need the help :-(

Since I've switched from working in garages with concrete floors to a cabin with a plywood floor I haven't experienced any problems with my feet or legs. This is good as trying to clean up wood chips and metal swarf from almost any kind of matting was a PITA. If I had to work in a garage again I'd do what I have at the moment and cover it with ply with a couple of coats of floor paint. I used to hate sweeping and hoovering up, well I still do, but it's a lot quicker and easier now. :lol:

Unfortunately the floor in my workshop/Barn is already a raised wooden floor, so it looks as though these fatigue mats will not work for me, still it was a good idea while it lasted.

Mike

MikeJhn":9exiozww said:
Unfortunately the floor in my workshop/Barn is already a raised wooden floor, so it looks as though these fatigue mats will not work for me, still it was a good idea while it lasted.

Mike
What makes you think that, surely they will add a softer resilient layer for you to walk and stand on.

I would liken standing on them to wearing dense foam filled trainers as opposed to hard leather soles?

As long as what you purchase are resilient anti fatigue not just anti-slip.

woodpig":2sv87zk7 said:
Since I've switched from working in garages with concrete floors to a cabin with a plywood floor I haven't experienced any problems with my feet or legs. This is good as trying to clean up wood chips and metal swarf from almost any kind of matting was a PITA. If I had to work in a garage again I'd do what I have at the moment and cover it with ply with a couple of coats of floor paint. I used to hate sweeping and hoovering up, well I still do, but it's a lot quicker and easier now. :lol:

Just taking note of the opinion of the above post.

Mike

I use 5ft x 4ft piece of rubber matting that I salvaged from a skip a few years ago. Its ribbed on one side. After trials, I found it was better to have the ribbed side down not only for standing on, but fir cleaning up after work.

Also, if you are finding that your legs hurt, rather than your feet soles, buy yourself some knee length flight socks. They work wonders. I had varicose veins removed years ago and should wear medical compression socks all the time (mine are tighter than normal flight socks). If I dont, my legs ache like I have had sunburn on the skin. Standing still for extended periods slows the blood circulation, which is why your feet get painfull.

I bought 1.5m x 1m "Heavy Duty Rubber Grass Mat Outdoor Safety Flooring for Childrens Playground" from ebay for under my kids swing and slide. Had a bit spare so left it in the shed infront of my table. Really feels good compared to just standing on the ply. Thinking about it now, it might be a bit of a pain to keep clean though as it's full of holes.

I've always got a good shoe/trainer, as said earlier, I think they work well for me, and the sweeping the floor is a lot easier.

Back