Expansion gap on solid wood floors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
On the alcove job that Karl and me have been fitting, we noticed that the solid oak flooring had been fitted right up to the skirtings without any gap whatsoever, just a line of mastic all round.

Not knowing the story behind the floor, I tentatively mentioned it to the client last night. She said that the 'carpenter' who fitted the floor just before Christmas had told her that 'expansion gaps weren't neccessary with solid wood floors'.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I just muttered something about that not being standard practice and changed the subject onto my outstanding invoice.

There has been no lifting of the floor. They've been incredibly lucky.

What a cowboy!

Dan

:shock:

You say it was only fitted four months ago... Just wait until the humidity increases nearer summertime and perhaps get ready to expect a phone call asking for 'HELP!'...!! :? :wink:

I fitted a solid oak engineered floor a couple of years ago at home then went on a motorbike trip to the Alps. Got a phone call from my wife after a couple of days saying the floor was lifting up in the middle. By the time I got home it had lifted about 200mm in places. I had left an expansion gap of about 20mm all round.

I ended up using a fein multimaster to trim at least another 30mm off. It was a real pain and took what seemed like ages.

Now as flat as a pancake.

I had aclimatised it for about a week but it was obviously not enough. The was laid in June then we had a week of rain.

Mick

MickCheese":yqgntjlc said:
I had left an expansion gap of about 20mm all round.

I ended up using a fein multimaster to trim at least another 30mm off.

Kin ell, how do you cover a 2" expansion gap at skirting level.....

Cheers

Mav

Maverick.uk":2htwqxqn said:
MickCheese":2htwqxqn said:

Cheers

Mav

In my book 20mm is about three quatres of an inch? Where does two inches come from?

Mick

MickCheese":28cntok9 said:
Maverick.uk":28cntok9 said:
MickCheese":28cntok9 said:

Cheers

Mav

In my book 20mm is about three quatres of an inch? Where does two inches come from?

Mick

20mm + another 30mm = 50mm in total.

Latest posts

Back