Expanding Built-in Wardrobes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudester

Established Member
Reaction score
We have three rooms in our home each containing a built-in wardrobe. Due to growing children, we need to carry out some room shuffling and create extra space.

Rather than buy (or heaven forbid make something), I would like to modify the built-in wardrobes so that the space contained can be better utilised and made easier to access.

I have attached a picture of the first built-in I want to tackle.

IMG_2904.jpg

Starting tomorrow I am going to extend the opening to ceiling height and remove the partition on the left hand side to the corner.

Is this the right way to go about things or do I need to leave any gyproc in place? I have no particular door size in mind but would it make sense to try and pick a standard size given any possible savings.

It is possibility I could make doors if necessary.

That's all the questions I have just now and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

D

Taking out the walls to ceiling height is unlikely to cause a problem as they wont be structural. Easiest solution then is to buy sliding door track, fix to ceiling and floor and hang full length doors.

If its just studwork and plasterboard then there should be no problem.

I would fit a couple of vertical dividers so you can then choose between long, med and short hanging as well as shelves & draws.

I'm not keen on sliding doors but you may have a job finding full height doors. Thiswardrobe was once like yours but with 78" sapele flush doors :sick:

Jason

Hi,

it looks to me as though you won't gain any space by removing the bit of wall to the left of the door opening. Doesn't the storage run behind that?

Maybe a better way to use the space (and save work in the process) would be to lower the hanging rail so that the longest item is just clear of the floor, then either build in another rail above (giving you double the hanging space) or build in a series of shelves above if isn't just clothes you are looking to store.

The door might be just a red-herring, as removing it only appears to increase your access, but doesn't increase the storage capacity........

......unless I'm not seeing the photo right.....

Mike

Shultzy":3pjdyduh said:
Taking out the walls to ceiling height is unlikely to cause a problem as they wont be structural. Easiest solution then is to buy sliding door track, fix to ceiling and floor and hang full length doors.

Yeah, it is structural, just something built into the room.

jasonB":3pjdyduh said:
If its just studwork and plasterboard then there should be no problem.

I would fit a couple of vertical dividers so you can then choose between long, med and short hanging as well as shelves & draws.

I'm not keen on sliding doors but you may have a job finding full height doors. Thiswardrobe was once like yours but with 78" sapele flush doors :sick:

Jason

It will need to be sliding doors for space reasons. I do like the ease of access to each area in your picture.

Mike Garnham":3pjdyduh said:
Hi,

it looks to me as though you won't gain any space by removing the bit of wall to the left of the door opening. Doesn't the storage run behind that?

Maybe a better way to use the space (and save work in the process) would be to lower the hanging rail so that the longest item is just clear of the floor, then either build in another rail above (giving you double the hanging space) or build in a series of shelves above if isn't just clothes you are looking to store.

The door might be just a red-herring, as removing it only appears to increase your access, but doesn't increase the storage capacity........

......unless I'm not seeing the photo right.....

Mike

I agree Mike that that there won't be a gain in space overall. However I think there is a gain on usable space i.e. ease of access into the left and space above.

We have modified one wardrobe in the past in a similar way. It works ok but again you lose space above and ease of access to space on the left.

Cost is a factor and the cost of the sliding doors will determine what we do.

Thanks for all replies.

D

TheDudester":31ettcbi said:
Shultzy":31ettcbi said:

I don't understand your last statement. If it is structural ie. it supports the ceiling above, you can't remove it without putting something structural back.

Shultzy":9ws4rhfx said:
TheDudester":9ws4rhfx said:
Shultzy":9ws4rhfx said:

I don't understand your last statement. If it is structural ie. it supports the ceiling above, you can't remove it without putting something structural back.

It isn't structual is what I meant to say :oops:

D

Shultzy":1id1afxt said:
TheDudester":1id1afxt said:
Shultzy":1id1afxt said:

I think there is some confusion here between structural, as holding up the roof and structural as in a built structure that doesn't hold up anything but itself. I'd be pretty certain that a built in wardrobe falls into the latter category and can be safely removed without having to put in a lintel to support weight from above. Best check to make sure though, before you set to with the sledge hammer :lol:

Assuming there is a loft... Have a look and see if any of the roof structure is bearing down above the wall being removed.

Also... have you thought about simply putting a shallow shelf in the top section?

Back