Evolution 210mm Compound Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the sliding model last year and had nothing but problems with it. I returned it in the end.

I have the 3S rather than this model.

The multipurpose blade leaves a reasonably good finish on timber and the blade speed is reasonably slow but with plenty of torque. I've never manaqed to stall it even at full depth. The slower blade speed also means that the only time you're likely to leave scorch marks in the wood is if the blade is blunt.

The mechanism is adequate and produces consistent angles in both cutting planes.

I use this predominantly on site and it also comes in really handy for cutting joints in aluminium tile trim.

The one negative I have about the saw is that the 25.4mm (1 inch) arbour diameter limits blade choice as you are generally limited to replacing the blade with the same multipurpose blades from evolution unless you use reducer bushes or pay a lot. Even their own Blacktip blades do not have a 25.4mm reducing bush with them (although the 25mm can be persuaded to fit).

SPSlick: I did think about getting the sliding model but heard bad things about it (possibly on here) so decided against getting one.

Froggie: Never even thought about the arbour size, just checked the price of the blades and they are almost as much as the saw.

Thanks guys, thats what i love about this site, ask a question and you actually get a helpful answer, will probably put off getting it and wait until i can afford something better.

I've got one and found there is a fair bit of play in the pivot assembly (not the pivot itself, but the whole bracket). If you are careful you can achieve repeatable and accurate cuts with it. However, I now only use it for metal work because I found the evolution less accurate than a non-sliding mitre saw should really be (because of the pivot assembly play) when doing several cuts.

I have the sliding version, and I have found it to be very good for the price. The multi purpose blade gives a reasonable finish and cuts quickly, and I think they do a wood specific blade too. It is lower rpm, higher torque than normal saws which when coupled with their blade geometry allows it to cut metal and wood.
You can use arbor adaptors to fit standard blades, but then it will cut slower than normal because of its lower rpm. You can not use their multi purpose blades in other saws though as they wouldn't be safe at the higher rpm of normal saws.

The build quality seems generally robust and the slide and pivot mechanisms are smooth, and mine doesn't have any noticeable play in these components.

Once you calibrate the mitre and bevel angle scales properly using a square, then I have found it to be quite accurate, and if you use the repeat stops (or make your own if you want bigger lengths) then I have had no real problem making repeatable cuts.

It isn't as accurate as a table saw of course, but it is certainly acceptable for this type of tool, especially for the price.

The blades can be sharpened, although I have to say I haven't needed to do mine yet as they are still very sharp (a year of hobby and household use).
Also replacement blades are often available cheaper if you go to the Evolution website and then click the button at the top right for their Ebay outlet

It does have some faults, for example the laser line it projects is too wide and inaccurate to be of any use, and the positive stop for the mitre angle has a bit of play, but if you calibrate the scale correctly, then you don't need to rely on that anyway, so these drawbacks don't really affect me much.

I just wish I had bought the version with the bigger blade (mine is 210mm with slide).

The cutting through nails really is handy for choping up bits of old scrapwood without worrying too.

Back