Even more rusty tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
I went out last Saturday morning in search of old tools and paid £20 for the following collection:
- Bevel edge chisel, 1”, Ward, cast steel, W&P crossed hammers and anvil brand, about 2” of blade left, ash handle (rather rough and damaged).
- Paring chisel (not bevel edge), ½”, I. Sorby, Sheffield, Mr. Punch brand, modern beech handle (rather rough).
- Gouge, ½”, sweep No. 5, J. Howarth, cast steel, “H over T” brand, broad arrow mark, ash handle (sound condition but horrid varnish and split ferrule).
- Gouge, in-cannel, 5/8”, sweep No. 7, W. Marples & son, cast steel, box handle – octagonal London pattern (sound condition but split ferrule).
- Straight spokeshave, The Midland, Sheffield.
- Hand drill, double pinion, Record 423,
- Curved scraper, marked with 1952 and broad arrow.
- Parallel motion pliers with side wire cutter, 5 ½” long, W. Schollhorn, Newhaven Conn., “happy dog” Bernards brand, PAT May 6 1890, July 1892., PAT AHR2 June 17 – 1913.
- Slitting saw on arbor, 2 ¾” x 1/16”, Circular Tool Co. Inc., 061 HSS, 5/17/67.
- Small steel square, Moore & Wright, Sheffield, England.
- Adjustable bevel, no maker’s mark.
- Large centre punch, Moore & Wright, Sheffield, England.
I was rather taken with the pliers as I had not seen any like them before.

Attachments

• IMG_2373C.jpg
    IMG_2373C.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 1,772
  • IMG_2379C.jpg
    IMG_2379C.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 1,773
  • IMG_2378C.jpg
    IMG_2378C.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,774
  • IMG_2377C.jpg
    IMG_2377C.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 1,774
You've told me about this shop before, sounds a real find, a bit of a time-warp. I like the Record drill, they're always handy. Will have to organise a visit (assuming he has anything at all left now?)

p.s. reminds me - when you are going around picking all this stuff up, do you get to a point where you say to the bloke 'let me know when it will be cheaper to buy the shop."

Yes Douglas, it's like a little Aladdin's cave of used tools. Most things are reasonably priced rather than really cheap. However, I go through the trays of rusty/tatty/broken/ incomplete things and look for things I can refurbish.

bridger":3my0kg93 said:
I have and treasure those bernard parallel jaw pliers.

I've got a similar pair by Maun. I find them really handy for holding bolts when loosening/tightening nuts. Much
faster and more convenient than the usual adjustable spanner.

BugBear

In another thread, was asking about Maun pliers for jewellry work. Got them from local stockist, but considering the price, was surprised they weren't gold plated :(
And having got them, suspect that the ones for 1/3 the price on the 'bay, even though they don't specifically say Maun, are identical :( :( :(

Back