Some More Rusty Purchases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought the following today for £30:
- Back saw, 14”, rip teeth, 9 TPI, Moulson Brothers MB Sheffield cast steel, brass back, teeth condition good, lower part of handle crudely held together with a screw and lower horn missing, rusty but not badly pitted.
- Dovetail saw, 8”, rip teeth, 13 TPI, A. Ashton Sheffield, brass back, teeth condition good, mixture of loose rust and clean metal on blade.
- Moulding plane, Mossley & Sons London, generally good condition but wedge a bit battered.
- Skew rebate plane, 1 3/16” sole width, A. Mathieson & Son Glasgow, generally good condition.
- Small steel square, Moore & Wright Sheffield.
- Ruler, 12”, carbon steel, made in England.
- Spokeshave, Record No.A151, rusty, one adjusting screw seized, lever cap screw missing (I think I have a suitable screw somewhere).
- Mortice chisel, ¼”, Tyzack & Sons 348 Old St. EC, good condition except handle painted blue & chipped.
- Gouge, 1”, sweep No.5, Ward, cast steel, WP anvil & hammers brand, wrecked octagonal handle.
- Gouge. ¾”, sweep No.8, Robert Sorby, handle in sound condition but looks recent and rather poorly turned.
- Gouge, ½”, sweep No. 5, (?) Sorby Sheffield, brand illegible, handle of box that is battered and has a wormhole.
- V-tool, ½”, rusty, no visible maker’s name, no handle.
- Gouge, ½”, sweep No. 10, Addis & Sons Sheffield.
- Gouge, ¼”, sweep No. 5, Ward, anvil & hammers brand.
- Gouge, 3/8”, sweep No. 4, back bent, S. Addis, London, square & dividers brand, wrecked handle.
- Gouge, 5/16”, sweep No. 7, back bent, no visible maker’s name (cold be shop made?), strange turned handle with a bad split.
- Gouge, ¼”, sweep No.5, fishtail, no visible maker’s name (cold be shop made?), box handle with a split.
- Gouge, 3/16”, sweep No. 4, back bent, S. Addis, London, square & dividers brand, octagonal handle in fair condition.
Now for a big de-rusting session. The larger saw and most of the gouges will need new handles but I think everything will clean up well. I think the small saw may turn out to be a little beauty.

Attachments

• IMG_2034C.jpg
    IMG_2034C.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 1,348
  • IMG_2033C.jpg
    IMG_2033C.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 1,348
  • IMG_2032C.jpg
    IMG_2032C.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 1,348
  • IMG_2031C.jpg
    IMG_2031C.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 1,348
  • IMG_2029C.jpg
    IMG_2029C.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 1,349
  • IMG_2028C.jpg
    IMG_2028C.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 1,350
Blimey and I thought Kent was the place for the best bootfairs.

Looks like Danny Essex has picked the best location in the country.

Edit:

I'm a blind Northern muppet who glanced at a county map of England before posting this

I mis-read Suffolk as Surrey thus placing Essex directly in-between Kent and Surrey :oops:

24 carat muppetry apologies.

Wow, I didn't go to the booty this morning now I wish I had, I may have to go early Sunday now and spend spend spend!

TT

De-rusting complete. Now for some handle making. I need to find a suitable bit of wood for a handle of the larger saw. I'm wondering about using yew - might that be suitable?

Attachments

• IMG_2039C.jpg
    IMG_2039C.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 1,142
  • IMG_2038C.jpg
    IMG_2038C.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 1,143
  • IMG_2037C.jpg
    IMG_2037C.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 1,144
  • IMG_2036C.jpg
    IMG_2036C.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1,144
Could have sworn that stunning dovetail saw had a steel back when you bought it ?

Edit

How/What did you clean the dovetail saw handle with ?

No - it was brass. It was just the dirt that made it look like steel :)

I cleaned the handle with white spirit, meths, turpentine, vinegar, cellulose thinner - but not necessarily in that order. It had some horrid thick brown lacquer in places and I resorted to those liquids and wire wool and scraping tools to remove it.

Looking good Rxh,
How did you go about removing all
The rust so well?
I went to a car boot today and got a few good purchases all for £10ish

In regards to your handle making, yew! I love the wood as it's beautiful once oiled but it's hard to work, chips and blows out, and for the delicate curves and shaping required for the saw handle it may be difficult (crazie grain and knots) But the skies are the limit, look forwards to the update.

Keep it up,
TT

Thanks Toby,
For the chisel, gouges, blades and lever cap.I started by soaking in vinegar overnight - that removed a lot of the rust but left some of it in pitting and a rather dull finish. Then I set to work with a twist knot cup brush in an angle grinder.

For the spokeshave I didn't soak in vinegar - i just used the twist knot brush and it removed the paint and rust in no time. I have now painted it.

For the saw metalwork I used abrasive paper then metal polish rubbed in with a ball of aluminium foil (AndyT's tip, if I remember correctly).

I've got a ]lump of seasoned yew somewhere - I'll dig it out and see if I can get a big enough split-free piece from it.

tobytools":mwmsge78 said:
In regards to your handle making, yew! I love the wood as it's beautiful once oiled but it's hard to work, chips and blows out,

I find yew cuts beautifully - if your edges are sharp enough. Failing which
rasps and abrasives will get you by.

BugBear

bugbear":kl1lrq4k said:
tobytools":kl1lrq4k said:
In regards to your handle making, yew! I love the wood as it's beautiful once oiled but it's hard to work, chips and blows out,

I find yew cuts beautifully - if your edges are sharp enough. Failing which
rasps and abrasives will get you by.

BugBear

There is always one who has to bring up something to do with sharpening...

Rxh- I use the vinager (malt) method as it's cheap about 20p a bottle, but I dilute
It with a tad of water, the after product as you say has a full finish but I personally like that, a vintage used look :)

On the vinager not I've been told that it's bad for the metal, can't recall the details but it not good. Some chemistry talk. I'll find out and report back mate.

Yew has a nasty habit of splitting (I'm referring to it in log form)
Most of my wood is cut myself at work and then used in projects, like my infill plane, and every handle I've ever made, plus mallets you name it.

Look forwards to seeing your yew stock,

Take care mate
TT

I love yew too but when I made my saw...I had a hard job with bits of reverse grain.

Yes you need sharp edge tools but a fine mouth on a mitre plane for example helps greatly and sometimes I just hit the abrasive pack out of frustration.

I use vinegar a lot and citric acid in the form of half a lemon and use the cut edge as a kind of sponge over the affected areas. For things that I can immerse I still use Corro Dip but for all other things...and particularly light rusting...I would say vinegar and lemon do a fine job and leaving the dull patina on is sometimes very attractive as Toby says.

Good luck with that!

Great haul by the way mate. I was on a technology hunt this weekend so no tools from me

Jimi

Latest posts

Back