Today's Rusty Purchases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
It was a sunny Saturday morning and I felt the inclination to buy tools. This is what I bought:
- Cabinet handled screwdriver, 16” overall length, W H Clay Ltd., Sheffield.
- Screwdriver, 10” overall length, D Flather & Sons, Warranted.
- Spokeshave, James Howarth, Sheffield, looks like boxwood.
- Firmer chisel, 5/8”, W Marples & Sons, cast steel, shamrock brand.
- Firmer chisel, 5/8”, maker’s name illegible but the first four letters appear to be: NEAR, John Bull brand.
- Firmer chisel, 3/8”, I & H Sorby, Sheffield, cast steel. The brand or logo looks like some sort of animal, possibly an ox.
Not my most exciting expedition but I think they are good tools that will be quite nice when cleaned up. The cost was £10.

Attachments

• IMG_1748C.jpg
    IMG_1748C.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 2,897
That's a quality haul!

The 3/8" I&H Sorby chisel is a nice one. The shape of the shoulder - long curve from the bolster to the full width - is early 19th century, and Goodman gives the firm of John Sorby trading from 1824 - 1881. The trademark device is the 'Golden Fleece' - a sheep being lifted by a sash round it's middle as if being loaded aboard a ship. I think that one's pre-1850. The handle (octagonal, tapered, beechwood, no ferrule) is typical of the period, too; probably craftsman made - chisels were usually bought unhandled. It's survived the years rather well.

Thanks for the info.,CC.
I discussed with my family what kind of animal it might be but a sheep with a golden fleece was not among the suggestions :)
I wonder if anyone still sells unhandled tools. More than 20 years ago I bought some unhandled gouges and other carving tools from Henry Taylor and Ashley Iles then made my own handles, mostly of fruit wood. I think the motive at the time was money saving but I think it is quite nice to have some personalised handles and a variety of shapes and colours can make finding a tool easier on a crowded bench.

NickWelford":1qnf8coo said:
rxh wrote:

Thanks for the info.,CC.

I wonder if anyone still sells unhandled tools.

Ashley Iles certainly does.
rxh":1qnf8coo said:
Thanks for the info.,CC.

Hi

As do Robert Sorby

Regards Mick

Ashley Iles certainly does.

Nearly drooled over your purchases. I live in France and had been on the lookout for a decent drawknife. They sell some baby versions at a local DIY chain store, but I wanted a "proper" sized one. Anyhow, about 6 months ago, was wandering through a local brocante (carboot sale) and found an unused (in need of a cleanup) Peugeot Freres full size drawknife. Priced at 20 euros (about £16.50 sterling) managed goodheartedly to get him down to 15 euros (£12.50 sterling). Should have got an oscar for the nonchalent look on my face as I sauntered away with my purchase. Any tools I buy have to earn their keep in my house renovation, but have to say, I was a dog with two tails, that day. Keeps its edge beautifully, even on old oak.

I have a spokeshave like that in form and colour but it is beech . The cutter is lovely quality but the mouth was worn badly , it was not new when I got it but came from a secondary school though not abused. A careful job with a bit of Box to remake the mouth and there are many years of life in it yet .

Thanks for all for your replies. Welcome to the forum brittinfrance and Willum -. After you have posted a few messages you will be able to upload photos of your own. We like to see pictures of old or unusual tools and also of projects (complete or in progress).

The James Howarth spokeshave is a real find. Howarth anything sells at a premium. That alone is worth three times what you paid for the whole lot.

The Sorby carving chisel is gorgeous and very old too!...again...these are becoming very sought after.

Jim

Back