Etching on wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knot Competent

Established Member
Reaction score
There was a recent post on here with pics showing words etched onto wood. I've hunted, honest! but can't find it. I'd like to be able to do this, and wonder if it's possible in a low budget way. Any help would be appreciated.

Etching is achieved using acid and would normally be on a hard surface i.e metal or glass - hence my question.

If it was done by laser, then that is pyrography, burning on wood. You can use a laser, soldering iron, hot wire pyrograph etc. but you essential burn your design / writing into the wood. You can also mill writing into wood and for really precise work this is often done using CNC machines.

There was a recent thread about burning a name on turned pieces so it may have been that you are referring to?

Yup, I've seen that, Harry, and I'll give it a try if I have to. But I'm sure what I saw was described as laser etching, which is head and shoulders above what you describe.

Yup, I've seen that, Harry, and I'll give it a try if I have to. But I'm sure what I saw was described as laser etching, which is head and shoulders above what you describe. And I wondered how on earth it was done.

I posted over in the show what you've made thread recently.

An example of laser "engraving" or "etching".

9hKDWi7.jpg

It is actually a form of Pyrography technically. The laser burns into the wood but deeper than a pyrography iron. The laser beam is focus at 1mm below the surface of the wood so removes material down to that depth and leaves a burnt surface behind.

There are places around where you can get this done as a service.

That's it! What sort of equipment is needed to do that, please? Are we talking megabucks, or beer money?

Have a look on Ebay for them...... I saw one recently go for around £500 which isn't cheap but they would be a useful bit of kit and probably pay for themselves pretty quick.

Cnc laser might throw up a few [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Here's one I recently did for a customer. It measures 18" by 12" and is made from sycamore

Attachments

• Isle of Man TT Races wall hanging.jpg
    Isle of Man TT Races wall hanging.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 101
Oh my stars! Not cheap, are they? But I love what they can produce! Some lovely examples there, guys, thanks!
OK, beginner's question - you can't rout and laser with the same unit, can you?
I presume a CNC router could be a bit of a messy process, whereas the laser is pretty mess-free?

Ah well, I can dream! Thanks for all your answers.

You could try looking for a Trend "Router Sketch". It's literally dirt cheap (less that £30) compared to a CNC laser engraver. It allows you to transfer complicated detailed drawings/artwork and/or text/writing to a work piece using a router. Apparently they stopped selling them fully assembled some years ago but you can still buy all the separate parts to assemble one. You can change the thickness or profile of the routed engraving simply by choosing a suitable router bit and setting the plunge depth on your router.
Here is one I found on amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trend-Routasket ... B005ASRQJ0

Thanks for that suggestion, Alf.
I'd go for that in a flash, but it looks as though it could be really difficult to use. You'd have to move
the router as you followed a pointer on the drawing, which could be very cumbersome, and open
to big errors - unless I've misunderstood the picture?

Have you used one? Personal experience is valuable.

No but I was tempted to buy one and try it. I read somewhere that it takes a bit of practice to use but if you can draw freehand accurately then you should be able to use one accurately. That one I linked to says it has holes for a "Rotozip"...I looked it up and apparently its a handheld "spiral saw"'...a strange device to use as a precision eching tool! I amuse you must be able to use it like a router and change the bits for router ones?

Back