Entry level band saw - any suggestions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo46

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good entry level band saw that would be adequate for making things like band saw boxes?

Cheers!

Tom

I think new as most second hand ones require a fair bit of travelling and I'm stuck for time!

Not really sure what they cost! Looking for something that's not false economy really. Don't want to buy rubbish but at the same time I don't want to spend unnecessarily!

Bear in mind that bandsaw boxes generally require you to cut reasonably thick stock (assuming that, by bandsaw box, you mean one cut from a single block of wood). That means not only height under the blade guard (say 150mm min, not difficult to achieve, most BSs have that) but also the power to drive a blade through that distance comfortably, accurately and fast enough for you not to be too frustrated by the process.
That's where smaller benchtop machine generally generally fall down.
Having the right blade is paramount, especially if you are using the machine at the limits of its capability. See Ian at Tuffsaws for that, obviously.
S

I recently bought a fox 82-186 band saw which has 150mm cutting height. With tuff saw blades it seems to be fine. They do make bigger ones too. It is what would be considered entry level i think and seems fairly well made.

Seriously, bite Ian's hand off! You won't get anything much better than an inca even new.

They have been selling on ebay at anything up to £360
I would want less than that though
but they are a fantastic saw if you can work within its size limitations

Back