Enoch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":218ievi5 said:
I did once meet a guy whose name (real name) was Tuesday. Amd I was assured that he had a brother call Crankshaft. I am not making that up, honestly.

When living in Nigeria in the 1970's, one of my company's staff was called Wednesday Nweke (should have been pronounced "wekay" with just a hint of an "n" at the start); we used to call him Wednesday Week - mainly cos that was how long it took him to do anything!! Not joking either (about the name, that is!!).

I wouldn't worry about Enock but in my past in dealing with clients I have come across some unusual ones that have caused the odd tricky moment or two:-

I once made a coffee table for a Mrs T Baggs and a door for a Mr Richard Head who insisted on me calling him "Dick"

There was then an Italien Lady called Mrs Capri Ford

But the most embarrassing moment came a few years ago when I went to see a lovely lady by the name of Mrs Cockaday, during our meeting she insisted I called her by her christian name "Nora" Dare I say when the penny dropped I found it very difficult to keep a straight face - Think about it!! :lol:

I did once work for clent in Northern Ireland called Micharl Hunt. Yes, he was definitely Michael and not Mike. And until very recently my landladdy was Tina Shirt. She's no longer my landlady but she is still T Shirt.

My niece was going to be named after her two grandmothers until it was realised that she would be Polly Esther Cotton!

In all of the hotels in China they have English names they use for the customers. Mind you I suppose that is due to us not being able to pronounce them. :lol:

woodshavings":1wlt5ggv said:
Hi Steve, does this mean a new workshop is on the horizon?
John
I wish! No, I had to leave because she sold it. Itwas always a temporary arrangement. I was lucky that it lasted as long as it did, really.
I am sort of beginning to look for a place of my own again but I've not been on top form for quite while and I'm in no rush. I lost all my house keys on Sunday and something as simple as that sent me rather wappy again.
I sure do miss having my own workshop though. One day soon, I hope.

I would of loved to had kids, just for the simple reason my surname is Burns, (homer) if i had a child i would have deffo wanted its first name to be carpet :lol:

Steve Maskery":2zty6lnk said:
I've just used the "Online Chat" facility offered by NatWest.

Hello. You are chatting with Enoch.

Now don't get me wrong. He was perfectly helpful and gave me the info I needed, and did so in a professional and timely manner. So I gave him max marks on all the q's in the follow-up questionnaire.

But Enoch? Really?

I may be doing the guy an enormous disservice and if so I really am sorry. But I've had enough colleagues from far-flung corners of the globe whose names are so unfamiliar to us that we find them difficult, to know that they choose English-sounding names as a (supposedly easier for us) substitute. I have Chinese friends called Cindy and Ivan, for example. But Enoch? Has anyone been called Enoch in the last 2000 years? Where do they get these monickers from?

If he really was named Enoch I am going to feel so ashamed.

Steve. Perfectly normal name.

Steve.

My Grandfather was named Enoch.
He had his own wood-turning business in Soho Pool, Handsworth/Winson Green in the early 20th Century.
Perfectly normal name. :D (I don't think he knew anyone called Eli though. It's possible, but I don't know!)

phil.p":21k7bmb6 said:
I don't expect Johnie Foreigner to speak perfect English, however when giant firms lay off people in this country and then employ people who can't be understood when speaking English,

Agreed. It's annoying that it's difficult to vent one's anger on the companies doing this.

I hope it's self evident that taking out your anger on the poor under paid call centre workers is wrong.

BugBear

I had 2 1/2 years in Singapore when I was in the R.A.F. and every time I got in a taxi the driver would ask "where you wana go John?". They used to get very confused with the reply of "how did you know my name?".

If you think that the British are bad at understanding forigners speaking English then you should try the French at the same game. Go into a bar and ask for 'deux bier' and sods law says that the reply will be anywhere between 1 and 4, excluding 2 of course. Eventually, after giving the 'archers' salute and saying it very slowly he will reply with exactly the same pronounciation and bring 2 beers! The French do not seem to be able to work around a word and the pronounciation and will really not understand until it pronounced exactly right.All of our neighbours are non English speaking French and lovely, helpful people, but it can be quite entertaining at times :?

As a matter of interest, our French is quite reasonable and my biggest problem is that I'm loosing my English faster than Im gaing my French and now I can't dammed well spell in either :oops:

Jonzjob":1hmamopv said:
I had 2 1/2 years in Singapore when I was in the R.A.F. and every time I got in a taxi the driver would ask "where you wana go John?". They used to get very confused with the reply of "how did you know my name?".

If you think that the British are bad at understanding forigners speaking English then you should try the French at the same game. Go into a bar and ask for 'deux bier' and sods law says that the reply will be anywhere between 1 and 4, excluding 2 of course. Eventually, after giving the 'archers' salute and saying it very slowly he will reply with exactly the same pronounciation and bring 2 beers! The French do not seem to be able to work around a word and the pronounciation and will really not understand until it pronounced exactly right.All of our neighbours are non English speaking French and lovely, helpful people, but it can be quite entertaining at times :?

As a matter of interest, our French is quite reasonable and my biggest problem is that I'm loosing my English faster than Im gaing my French and now I can't dammed well spell in either :oops:

Hmmm Yes. My spell-check is picking up a few! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you are right though John. I don't speak languages much, but I can generally figure out what some of the words mean when I see them written down, or I know the context in which they're being used. I could never grasp why foreigners couldn't do the same with English, up to a point.

And when you are in the RN everyone calls you Jack! Shades of Malta GC.

What really takes the biscuit? Try explaining the reasoning behind Cockney Rhyming Slang to an American . :roll:

"What really takes the biscuit? Try explaining the reasoning behind Cockney Rhyming Slang to an American . :roll:"

Or to an 18 year old French lass living next door :shock: :shock:

Orange France has their French help line in Algeria and the Algerians are really good friends with the French after the Algerian war :shock: :shock: Luckly enough though, the English help line is here and they are very good!

Hi

I was just about to comment on the location in GB that I most associate with Enoch when John NEARLY beat me to it. unfortunately the Enoch and Eli jokes area product of the Black Country NOT to be confused with Birmingham ie Handsworth etc.

I did my training in said wonderful part of the world (The Black Country) and met several Enochs there, but as pointed out many fewer Elis!!

Phil

treeturner123":2teonm6g said:
Hi

I was just about to comment on the location in GB that I most associate with Enoch when John NEARLY beat me to it. unfortunately the Enoch and Eli jokes area product of the Black Country NOT to be confused with Birmingham ie Handsworth etc.

I did my training in said wonderful part of the world (The Black Country) and met several Enochs there, but as pointed out many fewer Elis!!

Phil

And even fewer 'daft' ones I'll warrant! 8)

BTW, Handsworth does brush up against West Bromwich; Winson Green is adjacent to Smethwick and the 'Black Patch'. I suppose those two areas are about the southern limits of the 'Black Country'. They certainly are not far from Bilston, and Dudley, so yes, it's close, but no cigar! Cheers Phil!

Latest posts

Back