English Oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardTarget

Reaction score
Hi, would anyone know were I could purchase English Oak? Need to buy a piece appromitaly 36" x 4" x 4" Based in the North West, would be handy :)

There are plenty of timber yards up yorkshire way that should be able to supply that. :)

stefan szoka":t4buw2j3 said:
Cheaper to buy imported solid oak furniture these days and saw it up !!!
Ahhh but will the imported oak furniture be made from english oak? ;)

If you were nearer me I'd happily sort a piece out for you. I was given 6 Oak trees which I turned into planks. Sorry for gloating.

In the past I've struggled to get English Oak. In my experience it's mostly 'Euro Oak' which mostly comes from France.

65e6c416.jpg

file.jpg

96a55bfb.jpg

One possibility is to look in the Yellow Pages under 'Sawmills' for local estate sawmills, of which there are still a few about. A lot of what they do is geared to timber for estate repairs, so 4" x 4" oak gateposts and the like might be just up their street - and 36" would be an offcut to them. Don't expect it kiln-dried to 8% moisture content, though!

Does it have to be English? If you just need the odd board you can pick it up on Ebay from these people

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sherwin-Timber ... 34.c0.m322

I've had some trophy boards from them in the past and their oak (which I think is from north east Europe, very close and straight grained) is well dried and very good quality. Not the cheapest, but quality rarely is.

Wood Monkey":2bd2q7el said:
If you were nearer me I'd happily sort a piece out for you. I was given 6 Oak trees which I turned into planks. Sorry for gloating.

You're quite right to gloat, that is fab!

I've always wondered, does stacking like that really ensure that the board remain flat-ish? The gaps must be quite small.

Latest posts

Back