Energy bills dated end of December 2022

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynnwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Energy bills dated end of December 2022.

Just got mine : £375 for 30 days.
Despite a (roughly) 20% reduction in usage over December 2021 (according to their numbers).
70% Gas (Heat and hot water) 30% Electric = £375

Comparable?

3 bed 1960's detached house, gas combi for heating, water and hob. Our bills run from 20th of each month & they refuse to alter the date to month end.
So 30 days to Dec 19th Elec was £142.60 & Gas was £175.66 inc vat. Total £317.86
Estimated annual cost by energy co is £2197
Our gas usage is 30% down on last year & electric down 20%

Just read mine for the period 27-Nov -27-Dec - Gas heating +hot water £130.55 Electricity - induction hob £111.12.
3 bed detached single occupancy.
Likely lower costs due to 5Kw log burner lit most evenings such that CH does not fire up in the evenings, only demand on gas is hot water.
For sure have used more wood than last winter but the cold snap we had was pretty severe here -6C some days, however 6 logs per evening keep an open plan living room, sun lounge and kitchen a comfy 22C and I estimate the 4cu m of hardwood will last through to end April at a cost of £500

Period 16/11/22 - 15/12/22
Gas £308.85
Leccy £74.59
3 Bed bungalow with EPC rating C.

Mind we do have a gas fired AGA which warms the kitchen/dining area and dries the clothes with an ceiling mounted airing rack. Also PV solar panels which do very little at this time of year.

Just over 3000sqft, plus 600sqft annex/ office, Triple garage (heavily insulated with ambient heating) built 6 years ago, as A rated, with GSHP, we have gas to house but nothing running on gas. So all electric £350/ month. I also receive a substantial grant for 7 years for GSHP. I haven't included the rebate in that. All in all I'm stunned how efficient our house is.

4 bedroom stone built cottage (1865) 2 log burners solar panels,30amp AGA on economy seven. Internal insulation on all exterior walls. Only electric.
Has been running at £230 per month. 3 adults occupancy..

£85 for gas , water and heating only, this is the most ever.
£120 for electricity .
This is before government assistance.
1930s semi detatched, with a woodburning stove installed, 2 adults 2 kids.
My brother said his smart electric meter was showing £20 a day !! And he has solar panels as well. 1980s 4 bed.

Ollie

Last edited:
These figures are rather interesting
It would be nice to know the approximate square footage alongside the age of the property and if the walls have been insulated or not.
Mine came in at gas £232 and electricity £181 for the month of November
2500 sq ft plus 120 sq ft outdoor office
House was built in 1900 and the walls aren’t insulated over 3 floors. I’m toying with insulating internally some of the rooms and going for Wiser with TRVs. What doesn’t help is my wife also works from home and I have to go round turning off all the radiators. What a PITA that is…..

I'm still on a price fix with EDF until end of Feb, electric only, about 18p unit plus 22p daily charge.
We are a 115m2 new build bungalow running an air source heat pump for hot water and underfloor heating. This is the first house we have owned without a wood burner. Each room has it's own programmer and stat, but as the weather has been so mild the bedroom heating has not clicked in. The house is holding 21/22c. The house never feels hot, but pleasant and needs no heating during the day.
Over the last week, which was very mild, we have averaged for water and heating 7 units a day. We have had family staying with us, so 5 adults and a baby. That's less than £9 per week for the units.
When we had the -9 spell consumption averaged 24 units per day, so £30 per week for the units. The heating was on mid-day during this time.

Colin

I've just checked the readout on the side of the internal unit:-
Dec 5 - 11 = 130Kw = £23.40
Dec 12 - 18 = 152Kw = £27.36
Dec 19 - 25 = 46Kw = £8.28
Dec 26 - present averaging 7 units, so predicted = £8.82
Total = £67.86
If I average the 28 days out to 31 days it's about £75.

Last edited:
These figures are rather interesting
It would be nice to know the approximate square footage alongside the age of the property and if the walls have been insulated or not.
Mine came in at gas £232 and electricity £181 for the month of November
2500 sq ft plus 120 sq ft outdoor office
House was built in 1900 and the walls aren’t insulated over 3 floors. I’m toying with insulating internally some of the rooms and going for Wiser with TRVs. What doesn’t help is my wife also works from home and I have to go round turning off all the radiators. What a PITA that is…..
Well I don't know my square footage but it's a 3 bed semi detached.

Another interesting factor is what do you set your thermostat to. We have ours upstairs, away from the woodburner and just set it to 16 or sometimes 18 degrees. So it comes on a bit at night. The woodburner keeps it toasty downstairs.
However, I know some people who have the heating on 22 degrees and just wear t shirts all year yound. This to me is too hot. I would rather just put on a jumper.
I bet ours would go up a lot if we kept it at 22 degrees.

Ollie

British gas variable tariff, so set government cap per unit
Gas £119.19 , 1515kwH
Elec, £124.82, 377kwH
1998 4 bed detached, 2 adults
The keep asking me to put DD up, I just flatly refuse, acct shows £970 credit
On smart meter (joke ythey are) so why not bill monthly, instead of accruing my money to gain interest and only billing every 6 months. Dumb system.

Back